Air filter smaller than opening in duct

I was at my sister's house when she asked me to change her AC filter. She had replacement filters in the basement where the unit is located.

Her AC unit was replaced about 3 years ago. The duct work looks like a very custom job. The slot cover for the filters has 14x25 and an arrow for airflow. The filters she has are 14x24 and she said that the guy that installed the unit had told her what size to buy.

She has been using filters that are 1" too small for 3 years and there are no factory filters that size that I can find locally.

I am sure there is a ton of crude in the unit. What is the best solution for this problem?

Reply to
Terry

Take it outside, soak it down with simple green (or purple power, or other concentrated cleaner) and then use water at low pressure to rinse it off...be careful not to bend the fins on the cooling unit with too high a water pressure! In the event that you bend a few.....take the comb out of your back pocket (little black indestructible comb) and use the comb to straighten them.....

Reply to
<beard6801

Reply to
<beard6801