Amperage pull of a computer?

Gee DimBulb, you're asking for help? You might want to google on "RAIN". This was one of the appletts that HALTed win95 systems (after all others had it implemented in the base OD). Moron!

Reply to
Keith R. Williams

Come on in Ross! The water is warm, and DimBulb is as cold as a canned mackerel. What a maroon!

Reply to
Keith R. Williams

If DimBulb is really from Missouri, it's "misery" all year long.

Reply to
Keith R. Williams

...and he was on his best behavior!

-- Keith

Reply to
Keith R. Williams

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 21:54:15 -0500, Keith R. Williams Gave us:

I read my news in windows, dipshit. I *use* Linux, BeOs, OS/2, NT4 on an ALPHA, Lindows, VAX, TAC 4, Knoppix, and others.

You could fall a couple clicks lower on the clueless totem pole, but I doubt it.

Your remark was exactly as I described. You think EVERYONE uses windows. You are an idiot. Hands down.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 21:54:15 -0500, Keith R. Williams Gave us:

The OS ALWAYS has something to do, dipshit.

Reply to
DarkMatter

Rough guess is around 200 to 300 watts. And the monitor is likely 100 watts. For amps divide these watt numbers by 120. Something around the equivalent of a 3 amp resistive load (the current waveform consist of large spikes at the peaks of the powerline voltage and nothing in between). House wiring will consider it as 3 amps average.

Reply to
Robert Casey

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 21:54:15 -0500, Keith R. Williams Gave us:

Sorry, dipshit, but my 15Watt consuming CPU does NOT use less than half of that number when the PC is "idle".

You lose.... again.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 21:54:15 -0500, Keith R. Williams Gave us:

Do you "sleep" your hard drives too? Bad idea. The spindle driver transistors are the first thing to go in them.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 21:54:15 -0500, Keith R. Williams Gave us:

Nope. You are talking about power management. A sleeping CPU is NOT running. My remarks are about OPERATING machines, not some siesta, dipshit.

Reply to
DarkMatter

This only works if the meter is a "true RMS" reading meter. The problem is that computers have bad power factor. They draw large spikes of current for around

5% of the powerline cycle and nothing the rest of the time. Spikes are at the peaks of the voltage sine wave (positive and negative). Some AC meters assume that it is a sine wave you're looking at, and tell you the peak voltage divided by 1.414 The voltage across the resistor will not be a sine wave, but lots of spikes.
Reply to
Robert Casey

Enron might have gotten away with it had they been able to keep shredding after they turned their power off.

Reply to
Charles Perrin

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 21:54:15 -0500, Keith R. Williams Gave us:

It is, retard boy. It is a dual CPU machine. How old does your lame wussy ass think it can possibly be?

There is NEVER nothing happening. Setting a timeout in power management for sleep modes is NOT going to work dufus. It sees the VDM that seti is running in as an idle process, because the retards at MS think that "activity" is defined by HID events. You probably do as well.

They are full foreground processes, dipshit. No graphics, just crunching. Got Clue?

You are wrong, dipshit. The CPU sleeps ONLY after the "power management" timeout, not "when nothing is happening". When the RETARD OS that billy made THINKS the PC is idle, as in no HID events, it starts YOUR pre-set timer for a sleep mode. I'm sorry dipshit, but there are many apps that are NOT idle, that are not receiving HID input. Stupid idea. Stupid implementation. Near nil savings on a desktop from a power consumption POV.

You are retarded to call seti retarded. Why? Ever look at the list of participants? Thousands of PCs, BTW, just from these few.

Sun Hundreds of thousands...

HP Thousands...

NEC Thousands...

IBM Hundreds of thousands...

Intel Thousands...

Etc.

More computers than you have a grasp of math to perceive of.

I shouldn't really have to go on. You are too retarded to get it anyway.

Reply to
DarkMatter

Unless you have Adobe Acrobat running on them. For some reason, the thing runs a spinloop that heats up the CPU.

I've complained to Adobe.

Intel goes into great detail about power saving in the x86 architecture in their architecture manuals.... and how to write software that takes the best advantage of it.

Reply to
Charles Perrin

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 21:54:20 -0500, Keith R. Williams Gave us:

Nope. The OS, after IT decides that there is no HID events or interrupts starts a user settable timer.... THEN, if after THAT period passes, it sleeps.

It NEVER does it on the fly as you declare. You are lost... totally clueless.

It also doesn't look at the actual process threads for memory I/O activity either.... It looks for HID device events. Stupid choice.

My APM bullshit is OFF. There is no sleep.

The discussion is whether turning off an app causes less heat, and it does NOT. Fuck you and your sleep mode. You are wrong about the assertion.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On 27 Jan 2004 02:04:04 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net Gave us:

When the OS is up, and the user has yet to run a single APP, the OS is running SEVERAL processes, and ALL bits are changing. ALL memory is refreshed, even the zero bit set areas. When one runs an APP, from the cpu's point of view (gates) nothing has changed. A GUI OS has way more going on in it than you are apparently aware.

A refresh of all zeros or all ones uses just as much as one of all randomly aggregated bits. Same juice gets sent to the vectors. In the all zeros case the refresh energy is the same but the current for the stored array is less. Not really a real world scenario.

And yet... there is NO change. Why is that? See above. Toggle toggle... all the time.... every time... no stoppy.

No care what the bits are... toggle toggle. Avg consumption... same.

No shit, and there are ALWAYS instructions in the pipe! NOW do you get it?

Same job at a different scale. GUI OS still pumps away, whether any user process is up or not.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 21:54:20 -0500, Keith R. Williams Gave us:

There is no such animal as a 1GHz pII.

PIIs topped out at 450MHz.

It crunches about one unit a day, and is the same temp from doing seti, to not doing seti.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 21:54:20 -0500, Keith R. Williams Gave us:

That is what *I* said, you retarded f*ck!

There are ALWAYS instructions in the pipe.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 22:12:01 -0500, Keith R. Williams Gave us:

Stop talking about yourself, dipshit.

Power saving is NOT operation.

The statement was that from seti UP to seti down, there is no change.

How do your assertions account for this? They do not. You are inaccurate. And ineffectual. Less than a second class citizen, you are.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 22:14:34 -0500, Keith R. Williams Gave us:

Since when is asking for a benchmark file location link a request for help, you retarded f*ck?

You are a retarded f*ck. The applet asked about is a looping app to EXCERSISE the CPU, not put it too sleep.

Reply to
DarkMatter