Amperage pull of a computer?

It's *you* that don't get it DimBulb! You haven't a clue and are so dense no one can teach you.

You're simply stupid.

Reply to
Keith R. Williams

Let us see here.....two wires....and an amp clamp...why would you want to bother with your ".1 ohm resistor" not to mention having the correct wattages for each device....Geez....suddenly a DMM is OK??....I thought the leads would have TOO much resisitance DimBulb...Buy good leads and good instruments and it won't be a problem... "I lose you win" (BongWater Post)....what is the prize.....The roaches lining up for a RoachMatter knob job......

Reply to
Ross Mac

You're an idiot. YOu claimed you *DIDN'T* use Windows. You lie.

Of course I don't think everyone uses Windows. I use other OSs as well. However they all act pretty much the same, regarding power modes. Ok, the server OSs (e.g. zOS and AIX) and the hardware they run on don't worry much about power saving, since they're intended to be used 24/7, but...

Reply to
Keith R. Williams

Sure it does. It naps when it has nothing to do. The processor clocks *STOP*, waiting for an interrupt.

...that's two

Reply to
Keith R. Williams

If your wimpy "15W CPU" uses more than 2W while napping, take it back! It's an antique (likely .25u part) that should have a quiesced power of about 1-2W. Of course you've shown why your system doesn't change power consumption markedly. Your processors are antiques!

Sorry, DimBulb. You lose. Indeed you haven't a clue what you're talking about. I do this stuff (processor development) for a living.

Reply to
Keith R. Williams

Of course not, you moron! The processor sleeps (some call it "nap") constantly though. You really should learn *something* before you speak (magnetic fields == TEM waves, laff!)

...That's four

Reply to
Keith R. Williams

*EXACTLY* It will sleep (or nap, depending on who you talk to) inbetween *keystrokes*, if nothing is consuming cycles.

You obviously can't read. We all knew you cannot understand.

...that's five!

Reply to
Keith R. Williams

If it's a 15W processor it's *OLD*, DimBulb!

You're *WRONG*. If the OS (well, any modern one) is in it's idle loop and has no workload, it *will* nap. The processor will

*not* fetch or execute any more instructions until an interrupt wakes it.

Yes, and the OS knows they're using cycles. You won't save power (though with wussy 15W processors, who cares?).

Nope! You're an idiot. I do this stuff for a living, while you collect your welfare check (say thanks).

SO you're now agreeing with me. Processors do go into idle loops and power down. You can tell your teacher "thanks"!

Next lesson: "stop-clocks on idle execution units." (we'll wait for the "stop-clocks on idle pipe stages" lesson until your head heals).

Whoopie. ...and many told *not* to participate with corporate resources, because it *does* use power (both computational and electrical). ...not to mention that it is a security issue.

Yes, I belong to one of those groups. No, I no longer run SETI nor any of the distributed challenges.

You haven't a clue.

You'd better get out your compact and touch up your nose-hairs. Your "intelligence" is showing.

...Aw Damn. I only rated a six on the DimBulb Post-O-Meter (TM).

Reply to
Keith R. Williams

Of course. That's his only "brain-power".

Reply to
Keith R. Williams

Don't *say* that! I'm only 300mi from Macy's Christmas (or has the PC crowd gotten to that too?) parade! ...besides, I rather like BJ Moose.

Reply to
Keith R. Williams

Whoops! Wrong button

...and as empty too!

Reply to
Keith R. Williams

They're not "dots" you retarded slug! It's an ellipsis (that's singular, kid). I'm not sure why I'm trying to teach you anything, knowing full well that it's a hopeless task, but an ellipsis is used to indicate words missing, but understood from context.

replace the "dots" in:

...friggin' idiot.

with:

You terminally stupid...

Reply to
Keith R. Williams

It must be the 6 billion dollars that has blurred his vision...he anxiously awaits the Snake Skin Boots.....CRUNCH !!! RoachMatter is toast in the corner!

Reply to
Ross Mac

Dimbulb continually brags about his "Dual Processor"...I haven't a clue why he needs server power to post...."baby bullshit, retard, idiot.....ect....." Of course you know he will tell us all he is designing the next nuclear weapon with this machine...yeah...right....most likely he is designing the next generation of bongs...Just read his posts as the night progresses...Can we suspect "Double Vision"...??? Bud Dickman is alive and well!!

Reply to
Ross Mac

When our little RoachKnobber runs out of lines....and that takes about one sentence, then he plagarises....Is that an off hand compliment?.....I put out the Roach Hotel tonight and hopefully a little Rubber Helmeted, bicycle pantsed, toothless bastard smokin' dope with half a brain will be resident!!

Reply to
Ross Mac

Excellent Keith.....I can say no more!

Reply to
Ross Mac

Hey, I like the moose too! Picture this....DimBulb with a head the size of Macy's floating down the parade route spewing his usual tyrades...."retard, baby bullshit etc...."... Sounds like target practice to me! Bet I could get the sucker on the first shot!....That is if you don't beat me too it!....Nice thought huh!!!

Reply to
Ross Mac

processor.

It's a Via C3-2 Nehemiah (sp?) that runs at 1GHz (or is it Ghz?). It's not a race horse by any means, but it's actually quite snappy for something on a 17cm square board that uses less than 20W total. My dual PII-450 exhibits the same behavior with the temps, when the CPU's are maxed out the temperatures goes up significantly. Both systems running Linux. My PII-300 laptop here runs Win98 and normally gets hotter than hell (and stays that way) because Win98 doesn't work properly. Now I run Waterfall PRO on it now and I get way longer battery life and it doesn't burn my legs any more (unless some errant application is maxing out the processor). Pop-up adds and spyware/virii are good at doing this kind of stuff.

At any rate it's not so much the CPU as the OS. When there is nothing to do (actually a large part of the time in the real world as long as your not running a screen saver or SETI), it uses allot less average power.

What are you using to measure your temps? Does your CPU have an on die (or in the can) sensor, or is it one of those lamo external hookups? You can't go by what's in the BIOS setup screens as it would stay hot there since no HLTs are occuring. Have you actually made sure that when you stop SETI, that your CPU usage drops to a very low level? What OS are you using? You should easily be able to see this, I suspect you're not really looking.

AIUI, bits being on (or off) has very little to do with how much power is being dissipated. It's the state changes that really drink up the juice.

There have been some misconceptions tossed around here about idle loops and processes. The Idle process proper (or thread) is maintained by the OS, not within any application. It's what the OS dispatches to when there is nothing else to do, which surprisingly enough is a very large part of the time. In a real OS, the idle thread goes to sleep. In a broken OS (like 98) it actually just loops and is directly responsible for consuming large amounts of power. What the idle process chooses to do is key to power usage in most real world situations; all OpenGL screensavers and SETI crunching aside. ;-)

There are a myriad of other things built into the actual hardware (beyond software control) that attempt to do the same things. Pipelines and execution units can power off when not immediately needed. It's been covered.

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 21:58:26 -0500, Keith R. Williams Gave us:

You two are retarded. Folks have been calling retards like you two cockroaches for decades. Not a goddamned thing RossTard said is original, and you are retarded to claim it so.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 03:35:56 GMT, "Ross Mac" Gave us:

This proves you are totally retarded.

The leads DO matter for amperage reading, dipshit.

The leads do NOT matter when reading the voltage across a shunt resistor. That is what precision shunts are for, you dumbfuck!

How long did you say you have been doing this?

That one was blatantly retarded.

Reply to
DarkMatter