Any recent books on PLC?

Hello. I'm a software guy, and I want to learn more about embedded systems. In particular, I want to learn Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC). I think I do, anyways. Is this the best subject to learn first? (I have taken a basic electricity course a long time ago in highschool... forgotten most of it.)

I did a search on amazon, and most of these books are roughly 7 years old. This sort of tells me that the technology is outdated? (Or stable?) If it is outdated, what has it been replaced by?

If it hasn't been outdated, could someone recommend some recent books that talk about the subject? Many of the books have examples written for dos. And, I suspect that might be antiquated and not run on my home pc?

Your thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
DaLoverhino

I do not believe PLC have much to do with basic electricity, other than they run on electricity. Try searching Automation or Human man interface, or digital control system. I work with about 4 different manufactures hardware and as many as 4 products per manufacture. For me remembering the memory locations, and the key strokes for each product is the hard part. Get a PLC manual and read it. I do better when I have the hardware in front of me and the manual at the same time. When your feet are wet then you can look at Boolean, ladder or IEC programming. There is also the world of analog and digital signals. Personally I buy relay contacts and stay away from the triac versions. Lastly check into communication, like Ethernet, both wire and fiber.

Have fun, there is lots to read. Subscriptions (free ones) to trade magazines help wet the curiosity.

Reply to
SQLit

is a valuable resource. Take their free turtorial and ask any questions on the forum. they also have a web based plc emulator for practicing ladder logic.

They also sell a book available to order through the site. i have bought it but am waiting for it to be delivered.. I will report back when I recieve it

Reply to
BH