available voltage

Our activities building has 120/208v 3ph. We want to put a household chlothes dryer in. Most dryers require 120v for the motor and 220v for the element. Can this type of dryer be run on 208v, or do we have to buy a dryer specifically designed for 120/208v. Thanks for any help. drman42

Reply to
drman42

You'll be sweet !! No problems with that one.

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

It will work but the element will run at a lower power so it will take a little longer. The L/N voltage is the same so the motor will be fine.

Reply to
gfretwell

Conversion kits are available to make at least some 240V. Dryers run on 208V. I found a reference to at least one mfg. in this Maytag .pdf file:

My guess is that many builders/owners who have 208V. service overlook this step. I once lived in a condo with 120/208 V. service and the laundry equipment was included in the package. Unfortunately, the developer had purchased all 240 V. dryers and no conversion kits.

I recall it taking well over an hour to dry a load of laundry. This really bit the big one. Although the motor worked fine (US dryers have 120V. motors), the heating element could never reach its maximum rated wattage because of the lower voltage at 208. Remember that the power developed across a resistive load is V squared over R so you can see that this kind of reduction in available power is quite dramatic.

Beachcomber

Reply to
Beachcomber

Use a small buck/boost xformer.

Reply to
Brian

Since the only 240v load is the heater element you could just cut off a piece. The appliance parts store sells the element as a replacement part if you don't want to screw with computing the right length.

Reply to
gfretwell

--------------------------- But, while the temperature is lower, very often the dryer is run at medium heat so simpl go to max heat for less time than normal--or-- run a bit longer as you will not use more energy (losses included). A typical load on medium heat takes about 40 minutes at 240V and about 53 minutes at 208V. Is this critical? How often do you sit there anxiously waiting for the clothes to dry? --

Don Kelly snipped-for-privacy@shawcross.ca remove the X to answer

Reply to
Don Kelly