A C generators

I'm repairing a little 650 w petrol engined generator, apart from the main windings it has a circuit in it called the " subcoil" wired to a large capacitor, can any one tell me what this does exactly ?

The only part i have'nt tested is this capacitor, and a diode on the rotor, there is no short to earth, or in the windings, engine speed is fine, the output is according to my meter an unsteady 15,000 volts !

How do i charge and test this capacitor, it's a 50 uf / 240 v tin can type , not polarized .

Are there any textbooks on generator electrical repair ?

Reply to
Motor