Can green be neutral or hot?

Ok, I'm wiring between my subpanel and main panel and have a length of

6/3 (green, white, black) and one single conductor 6 guage cable (black). I had to buy thgem separately since the place I got them didn't carry the right kind of wire. Anyways, I was going to use the single conductor black wire as the ground. In the bigger cable I want to use the green and black as the hot wires and the white wire as the neutral. Does this sound ok? Do I have to paint the green wire or tape it etc?

Thanks

Reply to
Michael Shaffer

Michael Shaffer

Reply to
Michael Shaffer

Green or bare is always ground in your application. You can identify black wires above the size of #2 all other wires must be the same color the length of the conductor. Go buy the right wire SER is my recommendation.

Reply to
SQLit

| Thanks,I have a Home Hell down the street from me but I detest going | there. I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet this time.

You can get the correct wire at your local electrical supplier. It will cost a little more. But if you need something just a bit different, you can get that there as well, and perhaps not in other places.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

You don't want to hear this but it needs to be said. Your existing wiring in that panel is not up to snuff. It is clear that an unqualified person has done some of it. Worse, there are some code violations and unsafe conditions in there, if the picture shows what I think it does. Your 6/3 is the wrong cable for the job; you have two individual conductors entering the panel at the top; wires are routed such that they could short to the feeder or buss bars; improper support for some of the cables.

Reply to
ehsjr

Reply to
Michael Shaffer