Inverter Installation (Car)

Planning to install a 450W inverter in the trunk of my vehicle. Running 15' of #6 which should keep voltage drop within reason. What would be the disadvantages of using the chassis for the return to negative versus running a separate #6 wire.

Reply to
David

The body to engine jumper may not be 6 ga. You probably want to check that out.

Reply to
Greg

Your right Greg, the jumper is only a #8. Although I believe that would be sufficient for the maximum amperage I would draw. The #6 I ran was to minimize voltage drop only.

Anything else I should be concerned with. For example, let's assume that my inverter was considerably larger (I realize a separate battery placed closer to the inverter would be the practical solution... but again just as an example), and I replaced the jumper wire to an appropriate size. Lets also assume my draw was in excess of 100A. Excluding any battery related issues, would the vehicle chassis still be a good path for the current or is there a point where directly connected positive and negative lines would make more sense.

Reply to
David

Always close the power loop not to include other circuitry with a seperate line so as not to introduce cross modulation and noise.

Reply to
bushbadee

Thanks for the input Greg & bushbadee.

Was originally planning to run only the positive line, but will now run both... still not totally clear of the impact of using the chassis for negative but just can't wait to research anymore.

Btw, I understand the possible noise issue, although it might be limited/reduced to some degree after going through the inverter. But could you explain cross modulation... sounds interetsting.

Reply to
David

I am running PC based MP3 players in 2 cars. The only problem I have seen is a hum in a directed connect audio line to the radio. The one on a cassette adapther was not affected. The fix was a fat ground wire from the PC chassis to the body. Both use the body steel for the return path. The inverters don't seem to do anything with the ground lug on the NEMA 5-15

Reply to
Greg

I have a 2Kwatt inverter mounted in a side mount tool box of my pick up. This is hooked up to an isolated battery. Ran 2-0 cable to a 150amp fusible link to the battery positive. Ran a 2-0 to the frame. Works fine even at maximum draw. Battery negative is 2-0 to the frame.

Reply to
calhoun