Cell phone signal booster

Anyone ever use a cell phone signal booster to get better reception in their house or building?
I have horrible reception and did some research but wasn't sure if anyone
had suggestions for specific products.
I've seen those silly stick on the battery pack things on a commercial which I think is a joke. I'd like to build my own to save money, but have no idea how to do it.
Thanks

The first question I suggest that you investigate is how good is the cell phone reception outside your building and away from obstructions?
Much like TV reception in the UHF band, your cellular signal is going to vary with your distance to the nearest cell tower of your provider, terrain characteristics, height of the antenna (possibly) and the shielding effects of your building.
If you get a moderate-to-strong signal outside the building, an external antenna might help. Not all cell phones will work with external antennas, however. Many cell phones designed for vehicles will have external antenna jacks.

Better to run an outside antenna.

I get excellent reception outside, it's when I'm inside my house I need to stand by the window, not be downstairs, etc...
What needs to be purchased, built, or done, to hang an antenna outside my house?

An antenna tuned to the frequency band that you equipment uses. A low loss coaxial cable and a connector sutible to your equipment.
You may find a passive or active repeater more convenient.
I wont make a specific equipment recommendation but a search for "cell phone signal booster system" will give you numerous choices.

So I'll need to purcahse a cell phone antenna?
How do I know where a cell tower is and how do I "aim" at it?
Thanks