Cell phone signal booster

Anyone ever use a cell phone signal booster to get better reception in
their house or building?
I have horrible reception and did some research but wasn't sure if anyone
had suggestions for specific products.
I've seen those silly stick on the battery pack things on a commercial
which I think is a joke. I'd like to build my own to save money, but have
no idea how to do it.
Thanks
Reply to
Steve
The first question I suggest that you investigate is how good is the cell phone reception outside your building and away from obstructions?
Much like TV reception in the UHF band, your cellular signal is going to vary with your distance to the nearest cell tower of your provider, terrain characteristics, height of the antenna (possibly) and the shielding effects of your building.
If you get a moderate-to-strong signal outside the building, an external antenna might help. Not all cell phones will work with external antennas, however. Many cell phones designed for vehicles will have external antenna jacks.
Reply to
Beachcomber
Better to run an outside antenna.
Reply to
Tim Perry
"Tim Perry" wrote in news:481d44f9$0$7065$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:
I get excellent reception outside, it's when I'm inside my house I need to stand by the window, not be downstairs, etc...
What needs to be purchased, built, or done, to hang an antenna outside my house?
Reply to
Steve
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in news:jvidncZv4-MydIDVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:
So I'll need to purcahse a cell phone antenna?
How do I know where a cell tower is and how do I "aim" at it?
Thanks
Reply to
Steve
An antenna tuned to the frequency band that you equipment uses. A low loss coaxial cable and a connector sutible to your equipment.
You may find a passive or active repeater more convenient.
I wont make a specific equipment recommendation but a search for "cell phone signal booster system" will give you numerous choices.
Reply to
Tim Perry