Does anyone know of any good web resources..

Does anyone know of any good web resources for guidance on saving energy in industrial applications ?.
In our case, plastics extrusion.

TIA,
woodglass
Add pictures here
βœ–
woodglass wrote:

{Rant mode on - sorry to have picked your thread :( ) }
What ever happened to asking how to make *better* extrusions? Or making *more* extrusions, more quickly?
I am getting so heartily sick of all this carbon crappery. When young, the dream was of "JetsonWorld" - door to door air (and space) transportation. Whole wall TV displays. Trips to the moon for lunch.
Now, even thinking of going to the shops in your car is a crime. As for a flight across the Atlantic. Hell, you deserve horse-whipping..
If half this green crap actually worked better, then fine. Save the energy, if it also gives a better product. But no, we have "econo-flushes" .. that don't flush the loo adequately. Hoovers which suck - unfortunately the wrong sort of suck.
I do not want to end up with a World in which no one travels. No one builds a 49 bedroom house just because they want one. No one runs a deep, hot tub and has a good soak in it for an hour.
What I want is all this green crappery investment going into generating electricity so cheap and plentiful that it isn't even billed for by the kWHr. Micro fusion plants that will fit in my personal helicopter. Every wall a full TV screen, so I can move to Pluto - so that my mind and soul can get there, even if my body can't.
And yes, questions about how to make the best extrusions.. oh, and if it also can do so using less power, then great..
{rant over}
Sue
Add pictures here
βœ–
Palindrome wrote:

And then they'll charge you with cruelty to animals. ;-)
prove it.
βœ–
woodglass wrote:

Palindrome wrote:

Well, it *would* be nice if PILOT programs were used to demonstrate the utility of some of those notions.

I'm calling bullshit on this one. A LOT of people have more money than they know what to do with and do things simply because they *can*. http://www.google.com/search?q Κche:WF5gnmcb7gYJ:www.imdb.com/title/tt0107290/quotes+your.scientists.were.so.preoccupied.with.whether.or.not.they.could+Ian.Malcolm+they-didn't-stop-to-think-if-they-should 49-bedroom houses are a prime example. http://www.google.com/images?q ͺron-Spelling-house
Add pictures here
βœ–
@privacy.net says...

Now, now. "Saving energy" also saves money (or I wouldn't be so cold in my house). Saving energy is a legitimate concern for engineers.

Sure, and I wish they'd heat the Grand Tetons in the winter and air condition the Painted Desert in summer too. ;-)

Convince Al Bore of that, please!

I bet you really love ROHS, too.

...no one looks like a prune...

We're getting there. Have you noticed the prices of plasma TVs over the past decade? Hmm, not very "green" though. My 42" uses consumes over 200kWh/mo (but we heat with electricity, so...).

Ah, shucks. I was having fun. ;-)
--
Keith

Add pictures here
βœ–

Sorry for asking the question.....
woodglass
Add pictures here
βœ–

energy
Sue and many others here are very knowledgeable and very helpful. A problem that frequently arises is that the questions posed are so woefully lacking in information that much "reading between the lines" is needed to respond.
In this case the question is so generalized that only a general response is possible: A. ask your engineers. B. hire an outside consultant. C. ask your competitors how they do it.
Personally, my hero was Henry Orbit the repairman. Considering that George slept most of the day Mr. Spacely wasn't overly concerned about efficiency.
Add pictures here
βœ–

in
In my case the general manager mandated that automatic shutoff sensors be installed for the high efficiency fluorescent light fixtures with electronic ballasts that were already in place. Now we spent more on replacing lamps and ballasts then if we left the lights on 7/24.
My recommendation: go to your own engineering department and ask for a common sense approach to reducing energy costs. Tell then up front what the approximate budget would be for implementing such changes. One possibility is that sometimes electric utilities give better rates to industrial users who correct the power factor to their loads.
You can also try the Detroit strategy of laying off one shift or closing the plant down (sorry for the sarcasm).
Add pictures here
βœ–

I read about a company that assists other companies in 'going green', such as designing gadgets for reclaiming waste heat, using skylights and other sun-powered devices, and several other energy saving/waste reducing practices that helped large companies save money.
I believe I read the article in Popular Science or Popular Mechanics.
CS
Add pictures here
βœ–
woodglass wrote:

I guess the main energy drains will be the heaters and extruder motor - there's not so much scope to change the working parameters of these without affecting the product.... so I expect you'll need to look at peripheral devices to see where you can save a few pennies...
Add pictures here
βœ–