Download the 1999 NEC for free

It is in the Title 24 California Code in PDF format (71 meg) at: http://ftp.resource.org/bsc.ca.gov/title24_part03.pdf

electrician wrote:

Why?
On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 19:37:21 -0600, Dean Hoffman

He feels the need to express his utter retardation to the nation.
Why do you think the dopey fucktard posts through a google groups account? The dumb bastard probably doesn't even know what Usenet is, and thinks he is on a chat forum.

Since 1995 a few people have asked me for copies of various articles from past NEC codes for legal cases. There is always a copyright issue at stake. The NFPA that writes the NEC is very protective of the copyright as relayed to me by their attorney when a I attempted to get permission to use the Comments on Proposals for training programs. It therefore is of interest that California adopts the 1999 NEC instead of the latest 2008 NEC and then provides the entire code online. Could it be that the NFPA would not allow California to publish a later version and California only adopts a code that can be published? Anyway the 1999 NEC contains most of what is in the 2008 NEC minus a few articles and is available online. I spend about a $1000 every three years buying codes so I thought this would be of interest. Of course, I see a number of sarcastic kooks who disagree and make their usual comments from Usenet Kokology. As far as using google groups, I now have two other commercial accounts that charge me monthly but am just too lazy at times to use them. The free accounts are just not that good; I have tried them and the delay between posting and availability is greater than the commercial ones.
On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 12:08:11 -0800 (PST), electrician

Gerald, I suppose you know NFPA was sued and now has the current code online. http://www.law.cornell.edu/copyright/cases/293_F3d_791.htm
The link I have 404s but I know it is out there somewhere.

http://www.nfpa.org/onlinepreview/online_preview_document.asp?idp08SB You have to register with them first, but it's free.
Rich. wrote:

http://bulk.resource.org/codes.gov / looks like it has .pdf versions of national codes including several years of the NEC. What looks like the 2008 NEC is 127M. (I haven't downloaded anything.)
Wikipedia references a court decision: http://bulk.resource.org/courts.gov/c/F3/293/293.F3d.791.99-40632.html US Court of Appeals, 5th circuit, 2002 (probably same case as gfretwell's link), which holds that model building codes that have been adopted can, at least in some instances, be reproduced by others. Putting up the 2008 NEC may(?) be a copyright violation but putting up the electrical code of Idaho, which is the 2008 NEC, is likely not.
http://nfpaweb3.gvpi.net/rrserver/browser?title=/NFPASTD/7008SB has the 2008 NEC online.
--
bud--

bud, Your info is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.
bud-- wrote:

Is that a scanned copy of the book? At 127M it would appear to be (earlier PDFs direct from the NFPA being on the order of 5M).
--
Paul Hovnanian snipped-for-privacy@hovnanian.com
On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 12:52:50 -0700, "Paul Hovnanian P.E."

After using the CD version of the handbook I can't imagine digging through a PDF to find something. The CD handbook is a searchable resource with the NEC at it's core and english explanations on top.. It is also $185 so if you don't have a professional interest it may be a bit pricy.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

[snip]
One reason: There are pdf readers other than Acrobat that can do a much better job of indexing a document for search. Its possiblr to to semantic searches and fuzzy logic searches. So if you're not quite certain what keywords you might need to search for, you can paraphrase a question and it will root out the appicable paragraphs. Its way beyond the NFPA proprietary application (I'm assuming its the same as the one for the code alone on CD).
I noticed that the NFPA offers a service (not for free, of course) to help you do code research. So its not in their best interest to give you a tool that will cut into their income stream.
On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 16:37:26 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Christ! Is this retarded bastard the Gerald retard?
So, his post was really a troll from the get-go.
electrician wrote:

Nebraska is still running on 2005 code. The powers that be weren't all that thrilled with AFCI requirements at the time. Nebraska is usually fairly quick to adopt the latest code as state law. I've never looked to see if the whole code is posted in the statutes. I seldom have problems with aioe.org as a newsreader. Someone here mentioned another one that he had better luck with than aioe but I can't remember what it is offhand.
On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 17:16:02 -0800 (PST), electrician

snipped retarded link
You are one of those retards that the gangs should hunt up and kick the shit out of.
Google retards.... are.
On Mar 11, 5:45pm, StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

Oh my, another stalker. One of my hobbies is tracking down such troubled creatures and posting their personal information all over the Internet. Some of my outings include Kevin A.Cannon of New Jersey, Peter Ross of England, and my latest and best, Steven P. Olson of Wellington, Colorado. He even got a website dedicated to him. He worked so very hard to win that site after posting 48,000 posts under fargo116, Lamont Cranston and Sean Monaghan. He is probably the Usenet's most viral stalker.

You aren't too bright, are ya' kid. You're yammering at another of DimBulb's sock puppets (he's constantly getting them out of mommy's hamper).

You don't know DimBulb.
On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 17:39:24 -0600, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

No one does, since there is not now, nor has there ever been any poster in Usenet by that name.
Maybe one day, the truth will whop you upside da haed. I doubt you'll wake up even then, however.
On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 18:31:04 -0800, " snipped-for-privacy@thebarattheendoftheuniverse.org"

Wrong again, AlwaysWrong. We *all* know you (unfortunately).

More threats. Ho hum, I expected more poop. At least poop is something you can handle.
On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 01:26:54 -0600, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Another little cry wolf Mary. Predicted.
On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 00:32:02 -0800, TheJoker

You couldn't predict the time tomorrow starts, AlwaysWrong.