EIDE Cable Specs

What features should one look for in the zillion or so EIDE cables/mfgs. out there to ensure fast/reliable data transfer for DMA 66+ hard drives? Thanks for your opinions.

Reply to
GreasyItalianAdmin

I have some 6' braided cables (4 ½' longer than the spec) and they work fine on DMA66 drives. This is really a pretty robust interface if you have good cables.

Reply to
gfretwell

GreasyItalianAdmin wrote in news:dgvrnk$u5t$ snipped-for-privacy@domitilla.aioe.org:

Thanks to all the good responses. Quickly reading the replies, maybe I was not clear. What I was wondering specifically is what type of construction is best to eliminate errors? Some of the companies advertise various shielding materials and being ignorant in this area, I was wondering what construction materials are best and how do I separate the cheaply made stuff from the good stuff? The regular flat ribbon cables in the machine presently (40 wire, I think) are all twisted up and I think some of the sharp bends were giving me multibit errors-I tried to restraighten them and the multibit errors went away. Also I have read from some articles on the net that the round cables do not conform to the ATA standards? Also suprised to hear from one poster that he used such a long cable, everything I've read says no more than 18 inches.

Reply to
GreasyItalianAdmin