Electric cars

wrote: | Gerald Newton wrote:
> [...]
I understand that they are doing a lot of alternative electric cars in Iceland these days, due to the cheaper hydrothermal energy sources.
James Sweet wrote:

While not Fairbanks, we often get temperatures in the mornings that are -10F. New York isn't known for its cold weather, like some other states, but I wonder how the batteries would fair at -10F in the morning.
daestrom
daestrom@NO_SPAM_HEREtwcny.rr.com says...

Something like C/2 for every -10C, no? So range gets to be a serious problem in the winter for much of the US. BTW, I lived in NW VT for 15 years. Most years there are a couple of weeks were the lows are in the -20F range and the highs 0F, or below. Not a good place for batteries, though never froze one like my brother in Minneapolis did.
--
Keith

krw wrote:

How about the numbers for NiMH? I don't think lead-acid is a serious contender for electric cars anymore. If the prices of Li-Ion would drop, performance and range could approach that of gasoline cars.
@trashmail.net says...

I'm sure someone has better numbers, but chemical activity is temperature dependent. IIRC it doesn't matter much what the reaction is.
--
Keith