electric installations in decomissioned US base?

There's an old US base here in Crete, 20 km from the city I live (Iraklion, Crete, Greece) in Gournes. It was decomissioned at the end of
the Cold War, in 1991. Originally it was wired for 110 Volt, complete with US distribution panels and 4150/110 volt transformers. When I was working as an apprentice for a company that did public contracts (a public contractor?) we were rewiring a building for 220 volts and modern structured cabling. I learnt much on the way. Now I'm wondering, this US base was draining the Cretan grid, from MV (15 kV at the time) and 50 Hz, of course. Their equipment came from the USA. Did they use special equipment for 50 Hz, or did they use generic 60 Hz US equipment and it worked OK?
On Wed, 5 Oct 2016 13:17:12 +0300, Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

A lot of US stuff was rated 50/60 hz but I would not be surprised if they had their own generation capacity. Do you see any evidence of that kind of installation?
On 5/10/2016 5:50 ??, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

No, I think not as when leaving they took everything with them, obviously. But I saw a 15kV/4150 volts substation, still transformers buzzing and I think they used Cretan electricity. Everything else was missing, the 4150/110 volts tranformers, the underground cables. Most of the wiring, circuit breakers. What was really a bummer was they already had done the rewiring, but they didn't have a proper locked door so scrap thiefs went in and took everything!Even the UTP cables which should have been less than a kilo of copper.
On Wed, 5 Oct 2016 13:17:12 +0300, Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

Most things will work OK, though often have to be derated the 5/6.
On 5/10/2016 10:38 ??, krw wrote:

I think the base was first manned in 1954, and the first US base on greek soil. I wonder how it got its electricity, as the first unit of 6 MW was installed in what is now the linoperamata power station in 1966. I got to visit this very power station, and the 1st unit is still under normal operation! Its fuel is mazut like the rest of the PS. (heavy fuel). The condenser *what condenses the superheated steam after it has passed through the turbine* has many leaks and they have covered the offending pipes with what looks like wine bottle corks! Units 2 and 3 15 MW each, 1967 and 69, 4 to 6 25 MW each, in the 70s, 7 to 10 2-stroke diesels 11 MW each, and the rest gas turbines with diesel oil. All transmission lines in Crete are 150 kV *there used to be 66 kV ones, but they were decomissioned. Also the MV voltage has been raised from 15 kV to 20 kV.
Does Crete get any power from the mainland or is it all locally generated?
On 24/10/2016 6:40 ??, Michael Moroney wrote:

no, it is locally generated on 3 power stations:Xylokamara in Chania, all gas turbines and all diesel oil so VERY expensive.700 grams of diesel for 1kWh.Combined cycle gas turbine a bit better efficiency.The new Atherinolakkos in Lasithi, 2-stroke diesels 2 * 50 MW (75,000 HP) and 2 steam units also 2 * 50 MW.Mazut all of them, steam 300 grams/kWh and 2-stroke diesels 100 grams/kWh (these are very similar to marine diesels), and the aforementioned Linopermata power station. There is a plan of connecting Israel to Cyprus, Cyprus to Crete and Crete to mainland Greece. 1 700 MW 400 kV DC underwater cable, and one 380 MW 150 kV AC.We'll see. They're going to decomission the Linoperamata PS which is very near to Iraklion, also the Xylokamara, and probably leave only Atherinolakkos as a cold reserve. The first 2 are crappy unefficient stone age units, anyway.