Electrician: Is it an enjoyable career?

I'm kicking it around. I heard apprentices really get run hard. I'm not too lazy but I don't want to get abused.

Reply to
crb

crb wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@enews4.newsguy.com:

Depends on what kind of Electrical work you want to get into, there are several very distict fields. And yes, in construction electrical work, you are going to be the gofer, the pipe bender, the wire puller, and any other job the journeyman doesn't want to do, etc for a couple of years.

Reply to
Anthony

Been in the "trade" for a bit more than 30 years. In the early days it was easy to find a job. Running conduit and pulling wire does not make you an electrician. Learning every day and applying what you learn is.

The Unions will take care of you to a point. (been there done that) If you cross someone your basically screwed for the rest of your career. (nephew tried that one) Unions have a decent training program as far as the basics are concerned. Which is a good thing.

Today's world has more specific needs. My back ground is mostly power and controls. Not much in to electronics. I can figure out when a board is bad but the part,,,, forget about it.

Get the best education you can first. I have a friend that I worked for 5 years, he has a Masters in Electrical Engineering and is out of work currently. We both made the same mistake and went to work for an OEM and then tried to climb the corporate ladder by moving into the control and automation business. That group basically does not exist anymore. The MBA's of wall street decided that the risks were to high for the return.

You will get out of it what you put into it.

Reply to
SQLit

You can avoid most of the 'bad' apprentice stories by volunteering your time, and going to school for the book knowledge.

Let's ignore my years in trades being a jack of all trades, but I did recently go to a trade school for electrical work. 6 month evening program, and since it was a vo-tech, lots of hands on work.

After I was done, I volunteered at a habitat for humanity and did rough in and finish work. I got enough residential time in(since most of my background was in the industrial fields), I applied for a residential electrician license. I passed the exam, and am licensed now. I was able to do all this without giving up my day job.

Now being a big business boob, I've kept my regular job, and do electrical work on the side for habitat and church members for free.

hth,

tom @

The Real Tom