Electromagnetic Motor

Many many years ago in a Boys Own Annual 19xx vintage there was info on Building a Electromagnetic motor, the Motor ran on just a Antenna..
Use a large 1 meter mica disk from memory as the rotor, but why I think its a meter I just don't know as meters was not used in those days, unless the article came from the EU..
Any one have a clue..?
Add pictures here
βœ–

Electrostatic maybe? Try googling electrostatic motor
John
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 22:25:15 -0700, John Larkin

From memory it had Brushes, Plus a electrostatic motor would need a lot of votage to get it to run..
Add pictures here
βœ–

What you can get from an antenna is lots of DC voltage. What you can't get is enough current to run a conventional motor.
http://www.only1egg-productions.org/AltSci/ElectrostaticMotors/electrostatic_motors.htm
Hey, look at the pic on page 1:
http://www.only1egg-productions.org/AltSci/ElectrostaticMotors/Images/Amazing_Motor_That_Draws_Power_From_The_Air_PS_Apr_1971.PDF
He has *two* Keithley electrometers. They look like mine...
ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/Keithley_1gig.JPG
John
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Aug 17, 9:31 am, John Larkin

Fun, I've wanted to build an electric field mill to measure the Earth's E- field.
George h.
Add pictures here
βœ–
John Larkin wrote:

Doesn't that cause global warming? SCNR :-)

http://www.only1egg-productions.org/AltSci/ElectrostaticMotors/electrostatic_motors.htm
http://www.only1egg-productions.org/AltSci/ElectrostaticMotors/Images/Amazing_Motor_That_Draws_Power_From_The_Air_PS_Apr_1971.PDF
But you probably don't have the salt-and-pepper sports jacket with 1960's style tie.
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /
βœ–
On a sunny day (Tue, 17 Aug 2010 17:17:51 +1200) it happened William Brown

Intersting, a quick google for motor mica disk finds many many links, this one for a start: http://www.only1egg-productions.org/AltSci/ElectrostaticMotors/capacitor_motors.htm
Add pictures here
βœ–

One of the links at the top is: Amazing Motor That Draws Power From The Air Popular Science Magazine, April 1971 (PDF file) (it didn't want to load in to my old version of adobe reader)
Add pictures here
βœ–
bud-- wrote:

Try the foxit reader(free), no problem and about 5 times faster.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 21:19:57 +0200, Sjouke Burry

Ick. Adware. I was begrudgingly using it until recently, but someone suggested PDF-XCHange. I like it a *lot* better.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Electrostatic motors can be powered by wind friction charges. Some old diagrams show power coming from an antenna symbol but the only photo I could find shows a ballon generating the power.

βœ–

Years ago I built this pop bottle electrostatic motor, http://amasci.com/emotor/emotor.html I ran it from a 10,000 volt power supply, it worked good. MikeK
Add pictures here
βœ–

Say Mike are you an EE or a Physicist? (It OK to be a bit of both.)
George H.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Say Mike are you an EE or a Physicist? (It OK to be a bit of both.)
I'm a fish monger, well really a shrimp monger. hmm... can a shrimp seller be a monger? My wife and I run a small retail shrimp store on a marina. Been doing electronic tech type work most of my life, but now it is a hobby. Science was always high on my interest list, my last job was working for a physicist, we had a lot of fun on worthless projects, but I did learn a lot! Any reason you ask? MikeK
George H.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Mmmm, fresh shrimp. (Living near Buffao, NY the best I do is fresh water fish, trout, walleye, perch...)

Ahh is that where you made an electrostatic generator out of plastic coke bottles?

No you just seemed to have a physicist's mentality... Whatever that means...
I mis-spent my youth as a physics lab rat. Long nights in the lab taking data that only a handful of people would care about.
George H.

Add pictures here
βœ–

Ya, we're still getting them everyday even with the BP problem. I'm in Panama City Fl. we did see any oil here, one day they did say they got about 10lbs of tar balls off the beach,

coke bottles?
Actually no, that was a home project just to delight me and my physicist buddy. I gave it to a local museum and when I checked back they had done a clean out and tossed it. Kinda ticked me off, I did a nice job on it. A while back I repaired my son's science teachers Van de graaff generator, I got to play with it a while before I returned it :-)

I mis-spent my youth also. I say that because early on in school I tested in the top 2% in science. I didn't have any kind of mentor to guide me along until I was in my late 40's and then I didn't have any math to make it really useful. Spent most of my years as a tech in assembly and repair on video equipment, geophysical test equipment, automobile test equipment, worked in an electric motor repair shop till I got layed of during the Carter recession. I worked with the physicist building high power, high frequency ultrasonic equipment, for use in mostly aqueous solutions. Right now I have work on me and my son's electric gocart, and I'm about 60% finished with two solar collectors simular to this; http://www.builditsolar.com/Experimental/CopperAlumCollector/CopperAlumCol.htm Got a 4 ft tesla coil that I never finished, damn! But enough about me.... MikeK
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 06:55:57 -0700 (PDT), George Herold

"Fresh water" and "near Buffalo, NY" have no business being in the same sentence. ;-)
<...>
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Aug 19, 8:13 pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Hee Hee, OK the trout come from the stream behind my house. Google Java Center NY to see the area. Lots of cows, not many people. I go fishing with 'the boys' at Onieda lake north of Syracuse in late Septemeber. This boat fishing is mostly an excuse for drinking beer at 8:00 in the morning. (Though some are more serious than I am.) I've fished in lake Erie, but I don't eat them.
George H.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Ok, hadn't heard of "Java Center". Other than the NYS Thruway, we haven't traveled too much around that part of NY (why?). I lived in Hyde Park for a couple of decades and in Vermont for fifteen years after that, so I'm much more familiar with Eastern NY.

The Finger Lakes aren't "near Buffalo". ;-)

Exactly. Lake Erie isn't "fresh water". ;-)
Add pictures here
βœ–