Electronic Car Help

Hi everyone,
I was wondering if some of you could give me some advice.
I am going to build a mini car, battery powered. I would also like it to
have its on guidance system... completely independent unit.
The thing is, I am unsure of what type of guidance system i'd need to
create. Lets assume I were putting it through a pylon obstacle course, i'd
want it to be able to detect each pylon as it comes and make the necessary
adjustments to it's wheels in terms of direction to go.....
any ideas? I was thinking and IR emitter/Detector pair, but I am unsure of
the electronics required.
Any info is appreciated
philip
Reply to