grounding conductor

installing a new meter trim with main bkr in basement,the utility inspector says to attach the ground rod conductor to the neutral bus in main panel,I've seen many just go to meter trim.was just wondering about the ground/bond for the meter trim,the metal case,will it rely solely on the utility neutral?was curious what others do... thankyou to all responses

Reply to
A C

w_tom

What country are you in?

In the US the grounding conductor lands on the neutral/ground bar. ( some bars are separate, some are not)

A grounded conductor would "bond" the metallic parts together.

I seriously doubt that you have seen the a grounded conductor on the "meter trim". Meter can for sure.

Your conception is incorrect about the neutral. You are estabablishing the neutral and the utility is using it. I suggest you seek local professional help.

Reply to
SQLit

yes the trim has a lug for ground wire,its mated with the nuetral/center lug.I believe the nec allows for this trim to be bonded by nuetral only or 2nd choice is to bring ground wire to lug in meter trim.But then it would not be on main nuetral in panel.thanks

Reply to
A C

250.24 Grounding Service-Supplied Alternating-Current Systems. (A) System Grounding Connections. A premises wiring system supplied by a grounded ac service shall have a grounding electrode conductor connected to the grounded service conductor, at each service, in accordance with 250.24(A)(1) through (A)(5). (1) General. The connection shall be made at any accessible point from the load end of the service drop or service lateral to and including the terminal or bus to which the grounded service conductor is connected at the service disconnecting means.

As you can see from the quoted section the grounding electrode conductor may be connected at any accessible point from the load end of the service drop or service lateral to and including the terminal or bus to which the grounded service conductor is connected at the service disconnecting means. The US NEC does not require that the connection be made in the service equipment enclosure. Many inspectors do not consider the meter enclosure to be an accessible point because it is subject to sealing and or locking by the utility.

Reply to
Thomas D. Horne, FF EMT

In many places, the neutral is grounded at the transfomer and at each service entrance. Many transformers don't even permit a "floating" secondary: when dropped on the pad the "low" primary and the center tap of the secondary and the "chassis" are already well bonded together.

The "low" primary line is grounded every so many poles where the lightning arrestors are installed..

On one occasion, the neutral feed to my home opened. It quickly became clear that my "local" ground just didn't make any difference. (I have since installed two more ground rods and also bonded the plumbing to the deep well to the "house ground" but I'm not about to "test" it.

Oh, on another occasion when i lost a service conductor I paid a little more attention when the workers provided coverage with what they called a "service saver." This was a 120/240 autotransformer that was connected at the meter socket and the meter was plugged in on top of it. The neutral/groun connection was made to a wire clamp which was only attached to the sheet metal. It would not be inaccurate to say the connectin was to the "trim."

(I lost service feeds four time: first time was neutral, the next two times were "hots". Then they installed new conductors and I lost another "hot".)

Reply to
John Gilmer

Thankyou Tom, it seems that it is ok for the neutral to bond the meter trim,as you said it is considered not accessible once sealed by the utility.

Reply to
A C

First meet requirements of that meter box manufacturer. Second, National Electrical Code requirements. And finally, requirements from the electric utility. A local and major utility I had recently worked with says meter box earthing is not acceptable. They require a connection from mains breaker box to earth ground rod AND have other requirements such as bonding gas pipes. You must meet all such requirements - which may explain why your inspector made that demand.

Is that trim piece removed or moved to change meter? If yes, then clearly, earth> Thankyou Tom,

Reply to
w_tom

If installing a earth ground that does not exist, then you want to install the earthing for more than just code requirements. For example, that typically 6 AWG solid ground wire should route from breaker box to earth ground to be separated from other wires, be routed without sharp bends, and to make a connects as short as is practicable from breaker box to earth ground rod.

Also other incoming utility (telephone, cable TV, satellite dish) wires must make a less than 20 foot connection to the same earth ground rod. This for code requirements that address humans safety issues. For transistor safety, those grounding wires should be less than 10 foot, separated from other non-earthing wires, no sharp bends, splices, nor inside metallic conduits, and all meet at that same earth ground rod.

Code addresses human safety issues. But you also earth for transistor safety issues. The earth> I now understand the reasons for ground conductor to be

Reply to
w_tom

I now understand the reasons for ground conductor to be placed at panel neutral bar, but was concerned also about the bonding of meter trim to neutral only,Thankyou again Im a novice at this just trying to understand the thought behind the theory.

Reply to
A C