Grounding of control cable spares

Are there any standards or best practises for grounding spare conductors in control cables?

Thanks

Reply to
rjb

"rjb" wrote in news:bdatd.1172$ snipped-for-privacy@news1.mts.net:

IMHO, spares are spares, and should be left unconnected at both ends. Once you terminate them at either end, they are no longer spares.

Reply to
Anthony

I agree, I do insulate the ends so that they can not be energized accidentally.

Reply to
SQLit

Indeed. One may even argue that if they are grounded at both ends, and have any significant noise in the run, they will begin to carry current and may cause ground-loop type problems if there are instrument cables near them. Best to leave them isolated at both ends. Or perhaps ground at one end only.

daestrom

Reply to
daestrom

That is/was the standard for signal cables before everything started using twistred pair. These days unused CAT 5 pairs are floating.

Reply to
Greg

|>> Are there any standards or best practises for grounding spare |>> conductors in control cables? |>>

|>> Thanks |>>

|> IMHO, spares are spares, and should be left unconnected at both ends. Once |> you terminate them at either end, they are no longer spares. | | Indeed. One may even argue that if they are grounded at both ends, and have | any significant noise in the run, they will begin to carry current and may | cause ground-loop type problems if there are instrument cables near them. | Best to leave them isolated at both ends. Or perhaps ground at one end | only.

I'd go for the ground at one end. How would you ground the metal raceway? Same way, right?

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

news:bdatd.1172$ snipped-for-privacy@news1.mts.net:

No reason to ground it at all. In fact it can cause problems, introduce noise, ground loops, and is not a spare. Must be documented for the next guy to know that an unused wire is Grounded. Leave it open, tie it off. move on.

Reply to
factoride

Just tape the ends up with a label on them and tuck them out of the way.

sQuick..

Reply to
sQuick