harmonic hunter?

is there a simple metode to see if a system has harmonic voltage in it, without using oscilloscope? I heard it is possible using two different types of tester: one rms type, the other not rms type: is it true? why? thanks

Reply to
Dante

Simple way is to plug in your meter on the HZ setting. If it reads close to

60 your ok. If it reads 180 then you have the 3rd harmonic. What ever the reading is divide by 60 and you will have the highest harmonic recorded.

I know of no way to look at harmonics with out the proper tools. A Fluke 43B (or something in that range) is the bottom of the line when it comes to harmonics as far as I am concerned. I have used an o'scope for many years and mine do not have enough detail nor the ability to measure current and voltage at the same time.

Reply to
SQLit

Fluke 41B is about the minimum for harmonics work. The 43B has a 25Mhz scope built in and is a little more expensive.

Any method using VOMs (RMS vs peak detecting vs average reading) is just guessing.

Charles Perry P.E.

Reply to
Charles Perry

He's posting via an Italian server so the system frequency will be 50Hz not

60Hz

Reply to
St Dom