Heat trace question

I just reworked my heat trace at the well here in North Pole, Alaska. I am using 5 watts per foot 240 volt Chemelex heating cable (we call it heat trace). I spliced on about 20 feet of new cable and rewrapped about 20 feet of the old heat trace and the new heat trace. After I turned it on I felt the heat trace and noticed that the old heat trace was significantly cooler than the new heat trace. The old cable is only 8 months old, and both are 5 watts per foot. My question is does removing and replacing old heat trace cause it to loose some of it's its heating effect?

Reply to
electrician

i would be interested in what a product aplication engineer had to say abut this.

at the direction of some architects, electricians installed some heat tape on a metal roofed building in an abortive effort to prevent ice buildup. the first winter ice slides brought the whole thing down including the ice guards

Reply to
TimPerry