HELP: What Meds for Bi-Polar mental illness?

Hi, I have a son who is an electrical engineer but has been unable to continue his engineering work due to a mental illness. (bi-polar). He stopped taking medication to manage his illness about 15 months ago and the illness has managed to make him progressively withdrawn into personal manic obsessions and less and less connected to every day reality.

I am trying to help him find a psychiatrist and a drug treatment that might help.

Are there any engineers on this group that have found a treatment that enables them to continue in full time engineering work? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Dev

Reply to
mylist

Are you sure that what you describe is an illness rather than an adjustment to his experiences, many of which may have been emotionally traumatic?

IMHO there are many human adjustments resulting from the normal conditioning process that are conveniently catalogued as, "illness".

Reply to
Airy R Bean

I'll translate his answer to your question, "no".

Reply to
The Firm2

Dev, I hate to raise this question, but why did you son stop taking his meds? Realize that the meds are often the only thing that keeps people so diagnosed from becoming totally disfunctional, as you make it sound as if that is your son't case.

Realize that without the meds, many of those suffering from bi-polar illness would require monitored, full-time professional care (in a word, institutionalization).

The meds work wonders, so convince your son to resume his only hope for a happy and hopefully productive life.

Harry C.

Reply to
Harry Conover