How much/what electrical danger performing on a covered stage during rain?

So you use a battery in the mike->fiber converter on the performer's belt or hide it in the middle of his back al-la GWB.

On stand-mounted mikes, ditto.

The military makes fiber that's allegely sturdy enough to survive being driven over by a tank, so the average rock group should have to work hard to do it in...

Reply to
David Lesher

Only the retarded would call some one a retard I take it english is not your native language.

Reply to
<tbmoas58

God, I hate doing that. That now becomes the number one major failure source, the same way it is with wireless packs. And now you have to replace all the batteries before every performance, just in case. Just like wireless packs.

Yes, the military tactical fibre is very commonly used in this application, although most folks today are using the lower cost broadcast connectors instead of the military T-FOCA ones. The military connectors are several hundred bucks a pop which can often exceed the cost of the cable.... some friends at Univision recently spent $30K for only half a mile of tactical cable and Neutrik broadcast connectors (including the cost of the sling to carry the reels on your back). That's a whole lot more than 16-channel Canare snake cable, but probably less than video triax bundles. And it's a lot lighter to carry around.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

True... but look at the good side; you never run out of tested batteries for your smoke detectors & garage door openers.

If it's Elvis impersonators or similar; you could use a wobble generator like those magnet+coil flashlights you shake to power up. I've also heard of a larger version on railroad cars...

A FOAF founded a company that makes fiber converter systems for remote broadcast cameras. Initially they were a hit for golf tournament coverage. It used to be the network had to dispatch multiple semi-trailers with honking big reels storing the miles of $$$$ copper. Now, one small diameter fiber does the job. His market has now spread far beyond golf, I suspect.

Reply to
David Lesher

No, his native language is 'Morphing Troll'.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

It depends what it's covered with. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippie

He is such an easy target, isn't he? every time I see his name here, I think of his pet cat, poor cat

Martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

Err that is plain language, the its the minimum impedance a fault to ground can flow through. Jack Shit will almost certainly have to high a resistance to comply with code.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

This happened right after he walked in the door:

Michael A. Terrell

"Duncan Wood" Phil Allison "Andrew Gabriel"

** It is plan bollocks.

** Worse gobbledegook than the original verbal diarrhoea.
** Is about all you know.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

It's the impedance of the entire circuit if you short the phase cable to= =

ground, including the LV transformer & feed cable. So divide your phase = =

voltage by the earth fault impedance & you get the maximum current that = =

can flow. If that's still gobbldegook then you need some basic knowledge= =

about electricity to play. Or use google.

Duncan Wood

If the local organisers supply your power in IMO it's essential to check it out yourself first, carry your own earth leakage trip but preferably run on your own mains cable. I now carry a small plug in tester that checks correct connection & measures earth loop impedance. Several years ago at a ten piece gig in Tain Scotland on a truck bed with canvas shelter, the mains supply provided had the live and ground transposed! I traced the cable back originated from a three phase board in an open tent with the cabinet doors fully open, that tent was open to the public children could have wandered in ! After ranting to the organiser and sorting it all out we found out half way through the gig that the canvas cover leaked like a sieve.. There was a good sized audience mostly with umbrellas, so we kept the show going after covering up the gear. Now I always run my own cable out and use own earth leakage trip and run the tester first. We have had requests to return for repeat gigs at that location - we've refused, never again.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Gilmour

I had a problem at a school. A dead circuit: One end of the conduit had white, black and green wire. The other end was red and blue. Someone had moved and outlet, years ago. They had spliced the wire in the conduit by extending the black wire with red, then tied the white and green together with the blue. No wire nuts or split bolts, just two very loose twists and cheap plastic tape that finally burnt open. After some checking, and old janitor told me that a former teacher had moved it, rather than waiting for the school board to send their electricians.

then there was the time I had a run in with a volunteer fire department. I told them their wiring was substandard. I hit the breaker box with my fist, and sparks flew out of it. I told them that if they didn't have everything repaired within 30 days, I was calling the state to have their certification revoked, and the county to condemn their building. It was bad enough that they were using the building, but they also let a Boy Scout, and a Cub Scout troop use the building, as well.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

" William Sommerwanker Utter Shithead "

Piss off - wanker !

Reply to
Phil Allison

A classmate was helping out a friend who'd bought a house. The previous owner was a retired Navy CPO Electrician. Black was ground. White was hot...everywhere...

Within PEPCO [MD/DC area], they use multiple wire cable where green is hot. I saw it once & said "WTF??" to the crew. The guy smiled and sung out:

Green is Ground, The world around... except at PEPCO...

Reply to
David Lesher