Installing triplex doorbell, one 4wire wire, help with wiring??

This may not be the right group, so sorry, but then again...
Installing triplex doorbell, one 4wire wire, help with wiring??
Can someone please help I am trying to replace a doorbell in a triplex I live in. Three separate bells, three separate buttons.
There is one 4wire wire (red, green, yellow, black) coming out of the wall to the door bell.
Doorbell 1 Screw 1: Red Screw 2: Green
Doorbell 2 Screw 1: Red, Red Screw 2: Black, Yellow
Doorbell 3 ??? (Doesn't work) Screw 1: Red Screw 2: ???? Nothing ???? Doorbell 3 is the problem. When I looked at the doorbell, it appeared that only one red wire was attached to one of the screws. The other screw didn't have any wire attached. I could be wrong, but the red wire on Screw 1 looked like it was one of the red wires from doorbell2 on screw 1??? It came loose when I was uninstalling it, so I don't know. For that matter, it is possible that a wire on screw 2 fell behind the wall somehow? I really don't know.
Other information: There is a twist on wire connector (marrette) for the red wire. Currently there is just one red wire coming out of the marrette, but that doesn't make sense to me. I have to assume that the marrette was used to split a red, but I can't see it. I suppose someone could have just been trying to lengthen the red wire, but that explanation seems somewhat implausible?
Can anyone who understands electricity or doorbells tell me how door bell 3 should be connected? Thank you!! -Rob
In article

<snip>
It is very difficult to tell what is going on from your description. Doorbell (annunciator) wiring is very simple.
1. I assume this all runs of of a single transformer.
2. You have three circuits. Each bell should have its own button.
3. One side of the transformer output should go to one of the terminals on each of these buttons. These connections could be made with three individual conductors (wires) to each button or one wire that goes to each of the buttons. Multiple conductors will use more material, but will make troubleshooting much easier.
4. The other side of the transformer connects to a terminal on each of the bells. Use one or more conductors as described in 3.
5. The remaining terminal of each button is connected to the corresponding bell's second terminal. (The one not connected to the transformer.)
6. The use of a cable with four conductors is merely a convenience. There is no fundamental difference between using individual conductors or a cable that combines conductors insulated from one-another.
7. Your description indicates that there are splices somewhere that connect conductors with different color codings. DO NOT RELY ON THE COLOR CODING unless you can verify their accuracy.
If this does not make sense, you are in over your head or I have been inadequate in my explanation.
It is possible to use battery operated wireless doorbell connections.
Bill
--
An old man would be better off never having been born.

The red wire goes to one screw of each doorbell button, this is the common. Then each of the remaining 3 wires goes one to each doorbell button.
Doorbell 2 (DB2) should have a red wire coming from DB1 and a 2nd red wire going out to DB3. DB2 should have the black or the yellow wire on the second screw, not both. You'll have to try each wire to see which dings the doorbell in the correct unit. Whichever wire is left over should go to DB3 along with the 2nd red wire from DB2.