Kubota generator set reliability

I am currently considering the purchase of a used Kubota DA5500E 5.5kVA generator set, but a diesel mechanic friend warns that the
Kubota OC95-D1-G engine used is a 3000rpm diesel that has a reputation for short engine life---he suggests a reliable life of only about 1000 hours. He also asserts that 3000rpm diesels are much less fuel efficient than 1500rpm. I would like to put these comments to the group and request any feedback from users of this engine that might either support or contradict these assertions? Thanks for any help.
(Ever feel surrounded by 'Experts'?)
Scoota wrote:

You might have better luck asking at the alt.energy.homepower group