Looking for damage on water heater drop twice. 40G GE GAS 21"x63" 9-year warrantee Home Depot

We attempt to transport a water heater (still in box) to a rugged location and drop it on its side. When unloading the water heater off a Ford 2-ton truck it tips over and lands onto its side on a pavement from 3-feet. A second attempt to move it on a dolly resulted with another fall. It was a disastrous location to be moving anything, it was dark, uneven surface, cold etc. There appears to be no damage since laying it down or on it's feet produces no sound of broken tiles. The instructions says to look for hidden damages.What could damage or which panel should I open to inspect for damages?

Thanks

Reply to
Leroy Mowry

The real problem is probably the glass lining.

Reply to
Greg

rugged

its side on

50% chance imho that you broke a gas line loose..if thats the case it will leak when you fire it up.. look for a gas leak or smell. 20% chance that you bent the inside tank which is steel with a ceramic coating...chipping the ceramic off...shortening the life of the heater quite a bit.

You should hear that though by rolling the heater on its side. If its quiet you probably didnt chip the coating.

location to be

There

look

Bent or dislodged burner, gas valve and pilot lite assembly. If its electric it would much less likely to be damaged..inspect the thermostat for damage.

Phil Scott

Reply to
Phil Scott

By the way, if put on a credit card, some credit cards have protection against accidental damage within 30 days of purchase.

Reply to
Art

Seems you forgot to drop it from the moving truck, return it say you didnt need it.

Daveb

Reply to
DaveB

Reply to
Jenny

Truth will set you free...........I was kidding

Daveb

Reply to
DaveB

We finished installing it for the church today (free labor, bought with cash) with good results and no safety issues. From the suggestions we began rolling it vertically and horizontally and no sound is heard but the corner top and bottom of the tank is bent inward 1/4". We found no gas leaks. The old 60G unit with 10G of water left inside is a back breaker since the drain valve was nearly all plugged by deposits.) A flexible rod shove into the valve didn't work. And didn't bring a drill. I wish there is a better practical way to move old units other than a dolly.

Thanks

Reply to
Leroy Mowry

What glass lining?