Looking for information for building electric fence

Here in North Pole, Alaska we have problems with moose eating our gardens. An electric fence is a proven method to stop them. I need information about what type of transformer to use. I was thinking about using a furnace ignition transformer that puts out about 10,000 volts with one wire at about 5 feet and a second wire buried along the fence perimeter but I don't want to kill mooss (or dogs or people) so this might be too much. Any infomation would be appreciated.

Reply to
electrician

Go and buy one. Otherwise it either won't work, or you will kill something/someone.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

On 21 May 2006 18:20:08 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) Gave us:

It isn't very likely that someone with such limited capacity to build such a device would know that the supply required to "kill something or someone" would be a very beefy design, and likely not be in his budget either.

A neon sign transformer isn't going to cut it.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

Why would you want to assume the potential liability when there are plenty of fencers on the market? This is the first thing that popped up on a Google search as far as fencing:

Some examples here:
The horse fencing might be better since it would be visible. Regular fence wire would work if you tied some empty beer or pop cans to it so the critter would spot it. You need only 1 wire. The soil acts to complete the circuit.

Dean

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

You are all right. I went to a local animal feed store and they had a whole rack of supplies for electric fences including UL listed transformers. You learn something ever day. I have never installed one. I looked all over town before I found one. An electrician asked me about inspecting an electric fence after they installed one near Atigun Pass Camp in 1990 to keep the grizzly bears out. They were doing a tans Alaska pipeline repair job there in the middle of the Books Range and the Grizzlies kept coming into the 500 man camp. At the time I didn't inspect it because we only inspected work subject to the NEC and there was nothing in the Code covering electric fences. It kind of makes sense since the purpose of the Code is to protect persons and property from the hazards arising from the use of electricity. Then here we have this fence whose purpose is to create a hazard using electricity. I wonder how UL lists these things? Anyway, we bought a mesh fence to keep the dogs out and now we are going to put the electric wire on top of the posts to keep the moose out. This hot bed garden has cost about $1200 so far for an 8 by 16 plot. The sub arctic tomato plants cost $3 a piece. The 12 cubic yards of top soil cost $340. The fence is costing $200. Anyway the wife loves it, such is life. Thank you all for the advice.

Reply to
electrician

I haven't heard anything about North Pole, Alaska, since I left Ft Greely in the mid '70s. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

They are rated for animal and mileage (and for weed burning). Thicker furred animal rating means a jump from 9600 volts to 14,400 volts (and a bit more amps, I think). The ones I have seen run from 50 miles of wire rated to 300 miles of wire rated. The bigger ones with weed burners normally pulse, I think (you can hear the "zing").

The ground leads just sticks in the ground (small ground rod) at the sender. 50 miles away, a bison charges the wire, he gets stopped cold unless he jumps in the air before he hits the wire. (And the wire is so stretchy, he had best make a really long jump, or it will still be in contact with him when he lands)

Reply to
hob