Modular home wiring - unconventional???

We just moved into a new modular home.
I went to change a couple of light switches in the bathrooms, to put in dimmers instead, so we don't have to have bright lights if we get up at
night.
I thought all I had to do was remove the switches, then wire in the dimmers, like you do in every other home but it turned out to be impossible.
It seems they don't put conventional wiring and switches in modular homes?
When I unscrewed the switch, I discovered it was also glued in with some REALLY strong glue, so I had to break that loose. Then when I finally got the switch out, I discovered unconventional wiring too. There are these big white cables that appear to be running through the switches, that you can't even access.
What the heck is this? Do they make it so you can never change a light switch if you want or need to?
How can I put my dimmers in, does anyone know?
Help!
--
Grassroots
( no email - spoofed )
Grass roots wrote:

Not quite the same problem - but the need to dim one light out of several controlled by the same switch, without ripping up floorboards, etc.
I use plug-in IR-controlled dimmers. They Plug into a standard light socket and takes a standard lamp. They even memorise its setting so, when switched on at the wall, illuminates to the remembered setting. They can be turned up and down using a standard TV remote. Each can be programmed to respond to a particular button on the remote, so you can heve several, all independently dimmable, in the same room.
By using a pygmy-sized 40W lamp in a 100W light fitting approved for zone 1,2,3 (UK) - I fitted these in the bathroom and they dimmed fine through the spherical glass shade enclosing lamp and dimmer. You can lay in the bath, dim the lights and chill out with a bit of Mussorgsky..
--

I hope that may help a little...

Sue

big
can't
Possibly time for a call to the factory or people issuing permits. Here they use boxes in modular homes, now. They used to do what you describe. Sorry I am not clear about the situation, there for will not comment on how to change out the switches

homes?
got
how
http://www.lakewoodcolorado.net/switch.jpg
--
Grassroots
( no email - spoofed )

some
From the view it looks like a typical wiring plastic box and romex (the sheathed cables). Just what the inspector would want to see. The plastic boxes I use are usually blue. Removing the box from the wall was a mistake. I can see one screw on the top of the box/switch that has to be removed to get at the wiring behind. There should be one more screw in the bottom. Better turn off the power before going any farther.
Some electronic dimmers will toast if installed hot.

Is the romex running into it or through the switch? How do I access it? I only have experience with regular screw terminl switches.
--
Grassroots
( no email - spoofed )

bathrooms, to put

lights if we get

then wire in the

out to be

switches in modular

glued in with

when I

too. There are

switches, that

never change a

issuing permits.

do what you

will not comment

and romex (the

see. The plastic

one screw on the

wiring
Better turn off

access it?
its ruined anyway... kill the power and then tear it apart and find out how its built and what the deal is.... then take the advice of other posters and install a standard plastic box and dimmer.... some dimmers run hot though, Ive had a lot of trouble home depot dimmers in transformer lights for some reason... so you might want to be real safe and use a metal box on this one.
Phil Scott

It doesn't look like the "white" version of the "blue box" to me.
It looks like the switch "snapped" into the box. (I saw a slot and tab at the side. I can see where such construcition would speed thing up in an assemply line: no screw for the switch, just push it into the box.
If my observation is correct, see if a dinner knife blade slipped into the side either inside or outside the box) will release the tab. Also see if there are screw holds to hold conventional switches.
Since the wallboard is damaged anyway, it might be a good idea to replace the box with a square box and even find the nearest piece of wood in the wall to hold it into place. There is a LOT more room in the square boxes and you can close it with a "mud ring" with positions for one or two devices.
It's time to get one of those little voltage sensors to ensure that everything in the box is "cold" before you stick in a knive blade.

bathrooms, to put in

if we get up at

wire in the

out to be

in modular

glued in with some

when I finally

There are these

switches, that you

change a light

permits.
what you

not comment on

nice pic.
The modular home folks obviously found a way to eliminate vast chunks of hand fitting and field labor... they went to factory strung modules made in china no doubt...then a minimum wage worker can slam the entire house wiring set up in, in couple of hours.
that allows them to be competitive, and in the end drives modular home prices down.. The price you pay is what you see.
Was it worth it? Probably.
Now you just need to find work arounds for these occasional issues. Not such an easy deal though from what I can tell looking at the picture. Enough to piss a man off actually... but the house price was no doubt lower because of such tactics.
What would I do? Id snip the wire off at the box. strip the ends, fit an overize plastic switch/ recepticle box... wire nut on some extensions and fit standard switches in the areas I wanted... so you send two days max doing that. So you still saved many thousands on the modular home.
Phil Scott

Not really, it's cost us $280k so far and was just appraised at $217k. Stay away from them.
--
Grassroots
( no email - spoofed )
On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 16:41:16 -0700, Grass roots wrote:

That may just say that you built too much/wrong house for the market. You likely still saved many thousands over the same house were it stick built.
--
Keith

Just from my observations in the area, there are a FEW places where modular homes make sense. These "best" case would be where the manufactured home has features and design that are exactly what you want (the manufacturers definitely can offer a LOT a variety within the basic constraints that the pieces must ship by road) and the local builders have a waiting list. If you do things right, you had put the foundation and underground plumbing in while the home is being built. You can go from vacant lot to custom home ready to move into with 30 days or less.

You
built.
modular
home
the
If
in
home
No way! It took us 90 days just to get the modular out of the factory, then another 13 months for the damned incompetent builder to put it on the lot and almost finish it, and he's STILL not done!
I'd bet that the only ones propagating the myth of the fast modular home that people can make a profit on, are the modluar dealers! Everyone who tries it must loose their asses, which explains why the industry is in the dumpster!
--
Grassroots
( no email - spoofed )
wrote :

Odd. I know of two people who have purchased modular homes and from order date to move-in date was approx. 60 days. Sounds like a bunch of "change orders" to me.
Charles Perry P.E.

manufacturers
plumbing
lot
the
order

Homes that were already sitting on a lot somewhere & waiting to be dropped on a lot? And were they dropped on a space in a mobile home lot, perchance?
Ours took 90 days to come out of Schult's factory and then 13 months for the idiotic incompetent builder to finish it on our lot, and he's still not finished. We've lost $25k of our former home equity in extra costs because of it.
--
Grassroots
( no email - spoofed )

then
What can I say but that you are now a Poster Child" for "stick built" homes.
If you can't get the house you want on a short schedule, there just isn't much reason to go modular.
I was driving by a neighborhood when a modular home was being put together.
In was a "H" floorplane. The ends were single wide and the center was a double wide. I didn't watch from start to finish but it could not have taken more then two working days to have everything in place. The roof already had singles. There was a little field labor to complete the roof and some internal finishing but ...

Can't say. We used to live near some modular home makers but I don't know how well they are doing.
Year ago when I ran the numbers the modular homes just didn't make any sense for us. But than as now, I just look for the most square feet for the buck. Folks who want "style" might be better served by the modular approach. One advantage is that once the designed is approved the place is built before anyone has a chance to change his (HER) mind.

Oh there's also the aspect that local governments are biased against them and will give you all kinds of shit along the way, just because of that.
--
Grassroots
( no email - spoofed )