Multi-meter help

I want to purchase a new multi-meter for testing amps & voltz on home electrical wires. Does anyone have any suggestions on which type I should get? I don't want anything to cheap. I was looking at the Fluke 179 but I don't know how that compares against others. Also Id like to get one of those testers used to trace wires. (not sure what its called.) Any suggestion on that would help too.

Thanks.

Reply to
Bill

Fluke makes a good product. I own 2-87's as well as a 123 and 787 and a 724. Last two are process control meters. I only use them for work.

I also own a Mircronta, Radio Shack. Similar to

use the RS exclusively at home. Does everything I need and a little more. There is little sense in spending $200 bucks for a home meter. At least to me. Wire tracers come in a variety of flavors and prices. All do somewhat of what they claim. Most do not work in concrete/block walls or under concrete. Personally I have never found the need to buy one. At home plugging in a radio and flipping breakers works just fine. Besides once you find out the circuitry you will never use it again. My opinion.

Reply to
SQLit

For home use a cheaper model will work just as well as a $200 version. The models usually have as a basic measurement circuit an 7106 , or variation, integrated circuit.

All the meters are manufactured in the Far East regardless of manufacturer.

For $20 to $40 you can get all you need.

Reply to
Dave

A.W.Sperry has some good ones.,

I think The Fox & Hound tracer is theirs., It's One with a plug in device and a detector for finding out which breaker it is on., but i don't know if it can trace other circuits though I guess you can put aligator clips with test leads on it and trace anything..=AEoy

Reply to
Roy Q.T.