My 11/2 hp motor keeps stopping, is it overheating or???

I'm not sure if I'm in the right NG, but I have an electric motor that keeps stopping. Then in about 1/2 hour it will start again. Is that thing
overheating? I wonder what it may be. I'm sure it is a dumb question, but I'm an old man trying to help out my grandkids. It is the pool pump that keeps stopping. I like them to swim and let me read :-) Any help is appreciated. I will call someone next week, but I'm just wondering what is going on. The pump, attached to the motor is less then 1 year old. The first pump lasted 10 years. Is this the usual thing now, are these things made overseas as well now. Anyway, many thanks for listening ......PM

keeps
first
Assuming it is not on some sort of timer, then yes, it is probably overheating. Most motors such as this have internal thermal protection. A sort of thermostatic switch that opens when the motor gets too hot. Then it closes again when the motor cools off.
You say it is a new pump. Did it come with the motor attached or did you attach a new pump to an old motor? If separate, maybe the pump is bigger than the original?
Typically, these would be centrifugal type pumps and the amount of power they draw from the motor is a function of the flow through them. More flow, more power drawn from the motor. Too much power drawn and the motor overheats.
Simply reduce the flow by throttling a discharge valve somewhere (do *not* throttle a suction valve as that may cause the pump to cavitate). Of course you can reduce it too much and the pump overheats, but unless you really get carried away, that isn't much of a problem.
Is the filter set up correctly? If you bypass the filter (or remove the internals) then you may get too much flow and overheat the motor.
Good Luck and enjoy the grandkids.
daestrom
PeterM wrote:

Along with what Daestrom said, a loose electrical connection can cause the motor to overheat. Turn off the breaker before checking anything. We want you to be able to continue enjoying the grandkids.

If the motor and pump was bought separately, double check the specs. If your pump was designed for 4 pole 1725RPM and you paired it with a 2 pole 3450 RPM motor of same hp rating will be severely overloaded and overheat.
If they're matched correctly, check the voltage at the motor while running. It should be no less than 10% below rated voltage, preferebly at or slightly higher than rated voltage. Running a 230V motor on 208V service that isn't specifically designed for 230/208V can cause overheating as well.
Once those two are in clear, check the current going into motor. If it's exceeding the name plate rating, your motor is overloaded. Check for abnormal drag, then reduce the flow like others have suggested.
Sorry for not getting back to you wonderful kind people here in this NG. I was gone, leaving the house, and the pool to the grandkids. Back to the pool pump. I have to get a tool, to check the current draw I guess. Is that one of the things that has the loop, or whatever you call it, and you open it up and then go around a hot wire with it? Anyway, I also checked the connections. One was kind of wiggly, but not lose. One terminal was a little corroded. I cleaned them all, tightened the one connection and then tried again. 1/2 hour, and it went dead again. The fan also worked, just to let you guys know. Of course I still have to check the other nomenclature things to make sure the have the right numbers. Not that easy to do, I have to lay on the ground etc. I can't get up at that point, but I'm motivated and can't tell you how you all inspired me to check this out. My wife wondered what happened to me. That was a good sign. So, maybe I can get the tool today and check the draw on the equipment. Bless you all............Peter

keeps
but
that
what is