Need Help with Home Wiring (Distr.Brd)

Hello, We are rewiring our house from scratch..Now the thing is we have aquired a new 3 phase electrical connection and purchase all necessary equipment.

Now the issue is our electrician is a noob electrician has no qualification and has learnt only from 10 years experience.

Now i wish to know

1)how to distribute the load on to the 3 phase connection...i.e how many room/appliances go on each phase. 2)What thicness of wire to puchase to get the main supply into our house..(our electrican says 6 sq. mm wire shud be sufficient....any formula for calculating this...

Thankx

Reply to
izzner

Before anyone should help you. There are some things that need to be known. First what continent are you on? You really have 3 phase in a residence?

I can tell you that in the US there is a code that we follow. I do my circuits by calculating the expected load on each circuit. Then I try to keep the heavy loads on different phases. In my experience we do not typically use 3 phase for residences. I know of a few but only a few.

Not knowing the amperage of your service and the local utility regs makes any guess worthless on the main supply question.

Reply to
SQLit

We really need to know what country to give any meaningful advice.

If its in the UK 25sq. mm is about the standard size, but its hard to say without knowing the loading. What size are the main fuses ?

Unless its a really huge house I cant see any advantage for using

3 Phase in the house. Will probably cost more than a single phase supply too.

sQuick..

Reply to
sQuick

It's the norm in some EU countries. In the UK, it's available if you ask, but you will not normally get it unless you require a supply > 100A (at which point you have to take a 3-phase supply). In some other EU countries, the single phase limit is very much lower, and all residences would normally have 3-phase.

Indeed.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The minimum in the US is single phase 100A @ 240, which gets centertapped to ground.

Reply to
gfretwell

After reading the other replies I cannot believe nobody said to get a REAL, LICENSED, INSURED electrician.

Reply to
PanHandler

If you read the other replies, you might realize no one yet knows if such a thing is relevant or even exists in the OP's country.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Maybe.

If you have a power generation and distribution system then it's unlikely there isn't some "authority" about how one connects to it.

Reply to
John Gilmer

LOL. I've been places where every car mechanic in the street has crocodile clips on the overhead lt to do car welding with - within a few hundred yards of the Presidential Palace (well, it is the only area in town that gets electricity more than two hours a night, on a good night). Where builders building a new house offer the next door neighbour a tap into the wiring, within the slab floor as it is poured so it will never be found... Where, oh, you get the idea..

But you are right, there is some "authority" there, too. It just isn't asked to authorise anything very often, though..

Reply to
Palindr☻me

Oh, I also have been in places where folks steal power. But there still is an established "right way" to do things.

Reply to
John Gilmer

Who is denying it? You snipped the bit where I added, "But you are right, there is some "authority" there, too".

I am not sure what you mean by "the established right way to do things".

1) there is the *established* way of doing things. in my example, the established way for getting power for welders in some places is that you put croc. clips on the overhead lines. "Everyone" does it.

2) there is the authority-approved way of doing things. But often the local authority-approved safety standards are way below those I would find acceptable - eg those of developed countries. In general, rules are there to be followed by technicians but for the guidance of engineers. Engineers wrote them - God didn't hand them down to someone standing on some mountain top.

3) there is the competent engineer's way of doing things. IMHO, the right way to do things. Which is to design the system to the highest possible safety standards that can realistically be set. Which will always meet the local standards and almost invariably greatly exceed them, in a third-World country. Which will usually be far, far, far safer than the "established" way of doing things in that Country.

However, 3) does often require systems to be engineered to a standard below that which would be authority-approved in some developed countries. It can be a tough decision sometimes. But that is why engineers exist - to make such decisions. And be prepared to justify them, in Court, if need be.

Reply to
Palindr☻me

Are crocodile clips bigger than alligator clips? :-)

Reply to
PanHandler

LOL.. I've always thought that the only one who should care is another crocodile/alligator...

Oh, sorry, that is the answer to, "Is it a boy alligator or a girl alligator?"

Reply to
Palindr☻me

Who woulda figgered? I had no idea size mattered to reptiles.

Reply to
PanHandler