PC fan thermally controlled too slow. Convert to non-thermally controlled or extend sensor?

Hi
I have an Antec Smartcool 120mm, thermally controlled case fan.
It's supposed to spin from around 800 to 1900+.
I can only get an average 1050 to 1300rpm out of it.
Can I extend the thermal sensor with a bit of wire?
Or perhaps just replace the temperature sensor, (thermistor? which I take it means thermally variable resistor etc.), with a resistor. Would I use a hair dryer and multimeter to determine correct resistance?
I'm not sure on the gauge of wire and solder I'd use. I've got 60/40 Rosin core .8mm (about 1/32 inch).
Laughing at the newbie but no eye-rolling permitted thankyou.
Thanks
Darren
I should add that if I disconnect the thermistor, I'd like to attach the fan to the PSU's fan-only connector, which is load sensing and variable. or Attach it to a fan speed controller that I have.
Thanks again
Darren

it
Rosin