remote controlled uncoupling

Are there any systems on the market to uncouple a Kadee equipped locomotive from a car remote controlled via DCC? I´m not talking about a stationary magnet or something like that, i mean a system installed in the locomotive, i have planned to add such a system to an Atlas locomotive, but don´t know how to do it...

Thanks, Michael

Reply to
Michael Kreiser

Goto

for a idea of what is avalible. Thats just one source, you should find various links from there. Europe seems to be ahead of the goodolusa is most things dcc, but there is a natural language barrier for a lot of the info.

Rt.

Michael Kreiser wrote:

Reply to
bob.true

Tony Train Exchange used to list a coupler that would lift up to uncouple, I did not see it ion their current listing. Perhaps youj could inquire if it is still available. Roger Aultman

Take a look at the new "John English - Hobbyline" Yahoo group.

Michael Kreiser wrote:

Reply to
Roger Aultman

A problem inherent to Kadees is that you need to uncouple both mated couplers at the same time. I suppose you could activate the Lok coupling electro-mechanically and extend a soft iron horn from the Lok mounted uncoupling electro-magnet to a position where it would attract the wagon coupler horn and cause both to uncouple at once.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Or you could try it this way

Keith

Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

GP> Michael Kreiser wrote: GP> GP> > Are there any systems on the market to uncouple a Kadee equipped locomotive GP> > from a car remote controlled via DCC? I´m not talking about a stationary GP> > magnet or something like that, i mean a system installed in the locomotive, GP> > i have planned to add such a system to an Atlas locomotive, but don´t know GP> > how to do it... GP> GP> A problem inherent to Kadees is that you need to uncouple both mated couplers GP> at the same time. GP> I suppose you could activate the Lok coupling electro-mechanically and extend a GP> soft iron horn from the Lok mounted uncoupling electro-magnet to a position GP> where it would attract the wagon coupler horn and cause both to uncouple at GP> once.

The uncoupler system developed by Tonys Trains involves removing the activation pin/air hose and moving the loco's coupler down to disengage it from the car's coupler. Not exactly prototypicaly...

\/ Robert Heller ||InterNet: snipped-for-privacy@cs.umass.edu

|| snipped-for-privacy@deepsoft.com
/\FidoNet: 1:321/153

Reply to
Robert Heller

For that to work the slack between couplers needs to be sufficient for the dropping coupler to be at a relatively steep horizontal angle to the coupler it is disengaging from. It looks a doubtful proposition to me!

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

I have seen the DCCuncoupling system work. Only one coupler needs to open.

Reply to
Frank Rosenbaum

From my recollection of the pictures that were around about a year ago the coupler remained horizontal and the entire coupler and draft gear moved vertically, it was motor driven. Keith

Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

KN> On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 14:59:21 +1200, Greg Procter KN> wrote: KN> KN> >

KN> >For that to work the slack between couplers needs to be sufficient for the dropping KN> >coupler to be at a relatively steep horizontal angle to the coupler it is disengaging KN> >from. It looks a doubtful proposition to me! KN> >

KN> From my recollection of the pictures that were around about a year ago KN> the coupler remained horizontal and the entire coupler and draft gear KN> moved vertically, it was motor driven. KN> Keith

Exactly. There is a 'bell crank' arrangement. The whole coupler, draft gear, coupler box, etc. moves down over a bushing covered screw. There are a pair of 'tiny' motors (one for the front and one for the rear).

KN> KN> Make friends in the hobby. KN> Visit KN> Garratt photos for the big steam lovers. KN>

\/ Robert Heller ||InterNet: snipped-for-privacy@cs.umass.edu

|| snipped-for-privacy@deepsoft.com
/\FidoNet: 1:321/153

Reply to
Robert Heller

If I remember correctly, this was done in G scale.

Reply to
Frank Rosenbaum

Frank, I don't know about G size but the ones we are talking about are definately H0. Keith

Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

"R> If I remember correctly, this was done in G scale.

Tonys Trains did this in H0.

"R> > KN> On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 14:59:21 +1200, Greg Procter "R> > KN> wrote: "R> > KN>

"R> > KN> >

"R> > KN> >For that to work the slack between couplers needs to be sufficient "R> > for the dropping "R> > KN> >coupler to be at a relatively steep horizontal angle to the coupler "R> > it is disengaging "R> > KN> >from. It looks a doubtful proposition to me! "R> > KN> >

"R> > KN> From my recollection of the pictures that were around about a year ago "R> > KN> the coupler remained horizontal and the entire coupler and draft gear "R> > KN> moved vertically, it was motor driven. "R> > KN> Keith "R> >

"R> > Exactly. There is a 'bell crank' arrangement. The whole coupler, draft "R> > gear, coupler box, etc. moves down over a bushing covered screw. There "R> > are a pair of 'tiny' motors (one for the front and one for the rear). "R> >

"R> > KN>

"R> > KN> Make friends in the hobby. "R> > KN> Visit "R> > KN> Garratt photos for the big steam lovers. "R> > KN>

"R> >

"R> > \/ "R> > Robert Heller ||InterNet: snipped-for-privacy@cs.umass.edu "R> >

|| snipped-for-privacy@deepsoft.com "R> >
/\FidoNet: 1:321/153 "R> >

"R> >

"R> >

"R> >

"R> >

"R> >

\/ Robert Heller ||InterNet: snipped-for-privacy@cs.umass.edu

|| snipped-for-privacy@deepsoft.com
/\FidoNet: 1:321/153

Reply to
Robert Heller

Here's a couple of links to a HO product that (used to be, at least) available to do what you ask.

http://t> >

Reply to
Dale Gloer