Uncoupling

So what system does everyone use for uncoupling? I am not impressed with either the hornby or peco ramp systems. Any suggestions?

scoot

Reply to
scoot

Converted my rolling stock to Kadees and then you have several reliable options for uncoupling as well as improving the look of things.

BVM

Reply to
martinbv

I'm about to experiment with the Bailey automatic magnetic three-link.

Its "finescale Brio" - push the wagons together and they couple, hold both and pull apart to uncouple. Works with trains up to at least 8 or 9 wagons (more testing required). Probably won't scale up above 2mm/N.

Nigel Cliffe

This subject just reminded me: Has there been any progress yet on a DCC controllable Kadee (or Kadee style) buckeye?

Reply to
Ian J.

Higher water?

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Its got to be pretty easy - use the servo from a micro model aircraft (the type which have 6in wingspan) to pull the buckeye. Drive the servo from a DCC function output.

- Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe

Erm, you'd need a different coupler design. The knuckle couplers operate by shifting the uncoupling pin magnetically to one side. This rotates the knuckle, thus opening it. To do that on the car itself would require a pin that extends horizontally under the car. In larger scales, O and up, you could use a coupler that works like the prototype, pulling a pin vertically, which disengages internal dogs for the servos to operate.

You might want to take a look at Sergent Engineering's knuckle coupler design. It uses an internal steel ball that locks the knuckle until moved by an external magnet.

HTH

Reply to
Wolf K.

Cleaner clothes?

Reply to
MartinS

Wolf K. wrote: [...]

Sorry, bad cut'n'paste. Should read

"To do that...would require a pin that extends horizontally under the car for the servos to operate..."

HTH

Reply to
Wolf K.