programmable ballast setup for lightbox

Hello, all.

I'm looking to create a programmable lightbox that will illuminate an artwork. It is a photograph and a diptych, and i would like the lightbox to be able to light one or both halfs of the work at any given time. Specifically, I would like to connect some ballasts to a relay wiring system that can "play" a sequence or light show (of sorts). Ideally, it should appear as though the bulbs inside were flickering (sometimes fully on, fully off, or at half-brightness) making each half of the diptych light up at seemingly random intervals, only sometimes revealing the work as a whole. Also, I'm hearing that cold-cathode tubes may take this kind of craziness the best?

I'm not an engineer at all, but am wondering if anyone can give me some suggestions as to how to go about having one of these made or making it myself. Any information would be grately Appreciated! Regarding the option of having one made... if there is a hobbyist the Southern California area that would like to help me with this art project (i'm still working out a budget for materials and help) please get in touch!

best,

SecretUltraM