Question: History of Req Outlet, NEC 210.52(E)

Can anyone tell me in which code revision the requirement went from one outdoor receptacle to both front and back?

I haven't kept my old code books and the question has come up in regards to work done in a housing development between 1998 and 2002.

Reply to
dickaarmstrong

I found my 1996 NEC and 210.52(e) requires one each at the front and back of the dwelling. Lets see if someone has older editions handy.

Once you have identified where the code changed, check with your AHJ to see when each edition was adopted. Some jurisdictions may lag behind code releases. Because something appears in the '96 edition doesn't mean it was required in all jurisdictions immediately.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Thanks Paul for both observations.

Reply to
dickaarmstrong

1993 NEC also requires front and back (single family or 2 family at grade level, same as now) 1990 NEC one outlet (single family or 2 family at grade level). For a single family without direct outdoor grade access from front to back (row house?) requires front and back.

bud--

Reply to
Bud--