Sectional Ground Rod driving technique.

Can anyone advise were the clay that is used in slurry form around deep driven ground rods can be purchased. The electrical supply houses don't carry it.

-- Tom H

Reply to
Tom Horne

Clay?? You could try your nearest hardware store.. What sort of ground are you driving into?

Cameron:-)

Reply to
Cameron Dorrough

The clay I need is called sodium bentonite. I need to know what kind of vender stocks the stuff and how it is mixed to form the slurry.

-- Tom H

Reply to
Tom Horne

This is a rather specialized market, and it's a very rare Electrical Supplier that would even know about suplimental grounding slurries, let alone stock it, and conductivity enhancing chemicals.

This URL below has an article that covers the subject to some degree.

For a source of Bentonite in different forms for different projects, click the type you are after, and enter the area you are needing the product shipped to, from this URL
may have to cut, and paste to get all of it.

Louis--

********************************************* Remove the two fish in address to respond
Reply to
Louis Bybee

Driving and bentionite do not mix. Your going to have to drill a hole to make this effective. There is no way to drive and use the slurry.

Have you considered a chemical ground rod? Have you taken readings to be worried about this?

I used to do ground testing for both soils and testing the rods. We had problems with rods and migrated to chem rods after doing the testing and furnishing the information to the chem rod company

isn't cheap. The products do what they say they will do. We once had to get 1 ohm for a ion beam splitter, 2-40 footers laid on their sides 4 feet deep, (could not drill). We were good to go. I put in a test box so that with the Amec tester we could test the performance of the rods 3 times a year, to be sure that all was well.

Good luck, try to get an EC&M mag, used to be lots of advertisements for this stuff there.

Reply to
SQLit

I believe it's primarily bentonite. Try XIT-Lyncole

Erico GEM

--s falke

Reply to
s falke