servers -amps - easist ways

We got a cabinet full of servers with 15AMP of power going into the cabinet. We got about 10'ish servers inside the cabinet, what's the easiest and safest (device) to use to check each servers total AMP output?

-- Alaskan Bush Pilot

Reply to
AKPilot

Amp output? Surely you mean "input"..

There is no easy way to do this without shutting the servers down at least once. Having done that though, the easiest way is to make up a short extension lead with the wires exposed so that you can pass the active wire through the jaws of a clamp-on ammeter and take readings whilst the server is powered up again.

Cameron:-)

Reply to
Cameron Dorrough

Take the power supply wattage and divide by the input voltage, should be close. Will not take into consideration surge for startup.

Reply to
Zathera

Read the nameplate rating on the equipment.

Reply to
Brad R.

Name plates on computer equipment are poor indicators of actual usage. They reflect maximum configurations with a generous safety factors for unreleased features. The clamp-on ammeter is the best solution. Just sample the rack and bring up each box. one at a time, noting the increased usage of each. I have seen equipment racks with an ammeter built in.

Reply to
Gfretwell

I agree 100% about the nameplate. But the power factor on switching power supplies can be all over the place. If you want to know power you have to get a Wattmeter.

Fortunately, "they" now make cheap 100% electronic models OR I understand you can get rather inexpensive USED electro-mechanical Watt hour meters. (You get a stop watch and time so many revolutions of the rotor.)

Reply to
John Gilmer

I may be mistaken but I believe nameplate ratings are required because they are what the load calculations are supposed to be based upon.

Reply to
Brad R.

Zathera,

I have read a number of your posts offering advice to others connected with serious electrical safety issues. My suggestion is that you get off crack or whatever mind enhancing drugs you are using. If it is not drugs then you need to complete high school.

Regards,

John Phillips

Reply to
John Phillips