Signal Corps Voltmeter / 1949

I have a US Army I-166-A Voltmeter MFP Aug 49 / Serial no. 556 Munston MFG & Service Inc.

it's in pretty good shape, last I checked the works were fine ~ battery pack~ only one blk lead with alligator clip ~> and is rather heavy for a field test meter.

Needs a P120 Rectifier 4pin Vacum Tube but seems it accepts two others.

anyone: Where can I get the tube for it ?

Also has anyone worked or knows anyone that has worked with these in their lifetime.

Any info appreciated regarding this Meter., though I may part with it to any interested.

Thanks

Roy ~ E.E.Tech

Reply to
Roy Q.T.

Decades ago, Poly Pak sold plug-in solid-state replacements for VTVM rectifier tubes. I'm assuming the device is wired with parallel filaments.

Reply to
JeffM

How about soldering in two solid-state diodes?

Roby

Reply to
Roby

Works for me, but many folks like to keep their vintage gear looking original (or easily restored to original).

You could easily replicate the Poly Paks device with a tube-base connector and a couple of DO-41's (and a canister form and some epoxy, if desired).

Reply to
JeffM

I could probably use the diode array suggested, but since I am just holding/collecting it I'd rather get a tube and keep it backdated but functional as original as possible.

It's before my time, but looks real cool up on my shelf, full drab army green no scratches with Superb original green cotton mesh strap.

I'll keep looking to get a proper plug in Vac/Tube and keep it aside for work/fun/looks or sale.

Thanks for the feedback so Far., keep it coming...

Roy ~ E.E.Tech

Reply to
Roy Q.T.

I have a Heathkit V7A vtvm, vintage 1954. Haven't used it for a long time and would not be surprised to find its electrolytic capacitors in need of replacement (dried out). You may have the same situation.

It was my first Heathkit!

Reply to
Roby

jeffm snipped-for-privacy@email.com (JeffM) wrote in :

Try at

They have a test equipment forum. You'll find a lot of info there.

Reply to
Tom Lager

So far all I've found are a few website from the UK with Manuals but nothing about the P 120 rectifier or any replacement tubes.

my search is still young

Reply to
Roy Q.T.

Greetings,

Regarding your tube request:

1) You may wish to ask this question on "rec.antiques.radio+phono." 2) Two sources for tubes (but not necessarily yours ): My favorite little mom & pop shop: Stienmetz Electronics 7519 Maplewood Ave Hammond, IN 46324 219-931-9316 No web site, no e-mail address: more power to them!

The Wal-mart (?) of antique electronics: Antique Electronics Supply

3) My quick search failed to find any mention of your tube. You are sure you have the correct number?

Regarding your other request, I haven't worked with the meter you mentioned, but I've certainly worked with VTVM's in the past. Indeed, I may be the last person to have purchased new (not ebay junk) Triplett 630PLK

course, my '630 ownership is not directly relevant to this discussion as the '630 is a VOM not a VTVM, but it does prove that I'm both decrepit and anachronistic.

Were you interested in commiserating or do you need technical support?

Good luck with your purchase!

Cordially, Richard Kanarek

P.S. You may be able to purchase a manual or other supplies from Fair Radio Sales Co.

a reputable purveyor.

Reply to
Richard Kanarek

Thanks for that.,

I got the tube type & number from the schematic inside of thee meter works, I will look into the radios scene for it ...... Basicly: I was just looking to get it fixed/completed with the tube & maybe anyone who had any story to share related with this Military Item.

Thanks again

Reply to
Roy Q.T.