Subject: U-166: A Photographic Record

Hi Troops:

I am posting the item below from the ship modelers mailing list. I must wonder if there are any crew members of the PC-566 still around and what they think after all these years. There can't be many U-boats that fell to the little PC's, quite an achievement. I would guess they filed their report and since there was no debris it was simply logged as another un successful attack and forgotten.

Bill Shuey

From: snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (John Kutina)

Re sunken sub debris found recently in the Gulf of Mexico near the US ship it sank. It in turn was sunk by US PC 566. Up to this discovery, the crew of PC 566 was not aware that they had sunk the sub -- it still counts as a victory.

William H. Shuey

As a follow on to this posting, the web site noted above has some fascinating photographs attached, although they are a type IX U-Boat. If, like me, you are hoping that Revell will follow their Type VII with a type IX, you might want to book mark this site.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

I think there will be a better demand for the Type XXI U-Boat that looks so much sleeker. I'd certainly be among the first to grab one though I am not a submarine enthusiast. The Type IX looks so much like the Type VII that I really couldn't tell them apart unless I look real close. The visual ID I think is the deck railings straddling the conning tower.

Reply to
PaPaPeng