Small 12V low RPM generator

Learned ones: I posted this request to another (non-usenet) forum and was referred to you by a friend in that forum. I did also cross-post this in alt.energy.homepower, at his suggestion. When I posted there, I discovered that I am using a usenet account established by my nephew several years ago. The account is his name (Brian Wood); my name is Dennis McKim and I live in western Colorado. Sorry for any confusion that causes...

It is difficult to present my current 'daydream' in a reasonably short post, but allow me to try: I plan to purchase a recumbent tadpole-design tricycle (see

for photos). "Chain management" is often an issue for recumbent trikes, and idler pulleys are often used to control the chain as it passes under the seat. I enjoy riding before sunrise and after sundown, and will need reasonably powerful lights on my trike. I plan to install a 14.8 volt Li-Ion battery pack, with a (nominal) 12 V lighting system (HID or multi-LED headlamp and tail lamp, and a 360° amber strobe light mounted on a pole behind the seat). I wish to consider a small 12 V generator driven by a toothed idler pulley, mounted low behind the seat. It will serve for chain management and power generation. My front chainring will be 32-tooth and the rear gearing will be an internal hub, so the chain velocity will be constant (no rear derailleur). My normal pedaling cadence is 80 RPM, so the 16-tooth idler pulley will be driven at ~160 RPM. I need an output of only 3-4 amperes, and might get by with only 2-3 amps. I don't need to power all of my lighting exclusively from the generator; I need to keep the battery charged and then extend its run-down time after dark when I turn on all the lights.

***** Is it feasible to try to construct a generator, using rare-earth magnets and copper wire, that will generate 15-18 volts, and have a package something close to the size of a can of soda pop (2-2½" diameter, 4-5" long)? ***** My research to date finds many designs for homemade generators, but all of them are large diameter (6-10 inches). That is great for wind turbine projects but not suitable for my dream. I've heard of using brushless DC motors as generators, but all that I can find operate at very high RPM. There are dynamo hubs available for bicycles, but they all generate 6 volts and I am committed to a 12 V system. There are "bottle type" generators for bicycles that drive against the lateral surface of the rubber tire, but I am (at least for now) set on designing something driven from an idler pulley. What do y'all think? Totally feasible? Impossible? Somewhere in between? Just to keep the discussion on track, please understand that I am also investigating the options of solar power to charge the battery, and of using a larger battery and "home-charging" it. My purpose for posting here is only to inquire about the technical feasibility of constructing a (very) small 12V generator being spun at only 160 RPM. Thanks in advance, Dennis
Reply to
Brian Wood

No...

purchase the item that will be cheapest. and since its DC variable RPM is not a significant issue as far as battery charging is concerned.. as long as the generator is large enough... a bike shop will have a good selection.

Phil Scott

that will generate 15-18 volts, and have a package something

Reply to
Phil Scott

Thanks for replying. Alas, the 12V bicycle generators I have seen for sale only produce ¼ - ½ amp (3-6 watts). I'll keep searching, though. Thanks again, Dennis

Reply to
Brian Wood

sounds like you want more like 20 watts..with a halogen bulb, narrow spectrum as with some motorcycles thats a lot of illumination.

The combination of the right halogen lighting and several of these small generators might do it.. rolling yer own in this area is of course possible but time and money make it impractical imho. when you can adapt other options.

IF the voltage is too low, say 6 volts when you want 18 you can series wind these probably,

with slot cars we used to send the motors out and have the 4 pole motors rewound to two pole motors to get twice the speed... there will be someone who will rewind a bicycle generator for you somewhere in the world...that wouldnt be expensive.

Reply to
Phil Scott

That may be a viable option, especially if I find the need for more than one idler pulley for chain management. Thanks very much for the idea. Regards, Dennis

Reply to
Brian Wood

bzzzzzzzzzzzzzztttt. the idler pulley is a bad idea as it spins yer mini gen too slowly, you would need a very large gen to make the juice you need going that slow.

the cheapies that ride on the side of the tire would be spinning perhaps 1,000 rpm..(a direct ratio of the circumference of the tire and the circumference of the gen driver wheel thingie. probably at least 100 to 1...

you dont get that leverage with your idler sprocket set up... you are a man looking for complexity where none exists... then arriving at non solutions when actual solutions abound.

Phil Scott

Reply to
Phil Scott

here is one kit with headlight and tail light

here is one that is built into the hub
if it was me i'd use a 6 or 12 volt gel cell and not bother with the generator (if somone forced me to ride a bike at night) and use lots of reflector strips.

Reply to
TimPerry

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 20:18:29 -0800, "Phil Scott" Gave us:

You're an idiot. An idler pulley does NOT change main and driven pulley ratio one iota.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

Thanks. Unfortunately, both of those are 6V systems, and also have insufficient lighting power for my needs. Thanks for checking them, though.

Regards, Dennis

Reply to
Brian Wood

errrr Dennis... the voltage, 6 or 12v is irrelevant ..my guess is that your notion of what you need in total wattage is similarly founded.

whats relevant is what is the most practical in the situation... if you want more light than what the kits provide... fit more of them.. nothing complex about that, nor expensive... you are creating problems for yourself.,,, unless you are trying to learn something...in that case there are books on these issues and kits you can buy or instructions to build whatever you want... it wont be cost effective though as far as the job is concerned.

Reply to
Phil Scott

You misunderstood my statement. Those are two independent clauses:

  1. Both of those are 6V systems, and
  2. They both have insufficient lighting power for my needs.

I am aware of the difference between (and the relationships among) voltage, current, power and work.

Thanks,

Dennis

Reply to
Brian Wood

We have to say goodby now Bob.... I will leave you with the notion of applying two or three such systems in parallel to reach the net wattage you want. You have been ignoring that remark..

Thats impolite from someone asking for advice.

your earlier remarks about how it has to be a 12v system are likewise loopy... any of those voltages can be stepped up or down etc.

Not impressive then to be asking such a range of less competent questions.... in the past I have found in cases like yours the guy has invented a dynamo for his washing machine that will power the entire western world and is fishing around to see if 'anyone else thought of it'... these types have obtuse requirements, and while tossing terms around demonstrate no clue on the basics.

Reply to
Phil Scott

I've not been ignoring that at all.. Eight messages up on this thread, I acknowledged your suggestion of using multiple small generators and I thanked you for the suggestion. I appreciate everyone's time on this subject, and I bid you a very good day. Dennis

Reply to
Brian Wood

Not what you asked about but something like this might be an alternative:

Dean

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

wouldnt a recliner have at least 2 hubs? two 6V gens in series is 12 V. 3 units will be 18 V

at 6W / 12V = .5 A

this would be sutable for charging a battery of about 5 AH (5000 mAH)

Reply to
TimPerry

Sell: China Shenzhen ZHAOWEI Machinery & Electronics Co. Ltd engages in designing , manufacturing and marketing all kinds of electric motors. They are mainly suitable for the following applications: smart home application used in sm art kitchen and laundry, medical instrument for personal care, smart E-tran smission applied in automobile, industry automation applied in telecommunic ation and a great variety of plastic/metal planetary gearbox in different s izes. In order to develop the oversea market, we are current seeking new partne rs around the world to create a bright future together. ZhaoWei is a right choice and excellent partnership with sincere services.

Company: Shenzhen ZHAOWEI Machinery & Electronics Co., Ltd URL:

Contact: Anny Liu Tel?+86-755-27322652 Fax?+86-755-27323949 E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@zwgearbox.com Add: Blk. 18, Longwangmiao Industry Park, Fuyong Tn., Bao?an Dist., Shenzhen 518103, Guangdong, China

Reply to
zwgearbox