Suspected phone tap

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

The UK military went through a huge downsizing and "contracting out" a while ago. They closed all sorts of "interesting" research places and large amounts of kit appeared in auctions, afterwards. Most of it working, much of it even in date for test. Many lots were mis-described or described as "units, various".
Sigh. Such days are rare. Here.
--
Sue

Add pictures here
✖

Ah, ours is way ahead of yours, we buy non working junk in the first place to save the effort of having to try and repair it later. It's much more efficient that way.

--
Clint Sharp

Add pictures here
✖

Yeh and most of it seems to be bought off the USA >8|
--
Stuart Winsor

From is valid but subject to change without notice if it gets spammed.
✖
message
[snip]
: : Doesn't your government waste money by junking : : repairable equipment?
No, they prefer to leave laptops containing everybody's personal details in unattended cars in Birmingham.
Ivor
Add pictures here
✖
On Feb 19, 12:26 pm, snipped-for-privacy@apaflo.com (Floyd L. Davidson) wrote:

mmmm. Sounds like the LA Times in 1984. The story concerned a certain sports personality! A jury of his peers still found him "not guilty".
Add pictures here
✖

That one turned out a little different. The fellow was convicted, and will never get out.
--
Floyd L. Davidson <http://www.apaflo.com/floyd_davidson
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) snipped-for-privacy@apaflo.com

But how can I detect it if it is being done (even if it is illegal)?
There are plenty of illegal taps. This is a web page which describes former police officers actually doing it. http://cms.met.police.uk/news/convictions/six_men_jailed_for_misconduct
"The company charged clients between £5,000 and £7,000 to hack into computers and £6,000 to bug telephone lines. The MPS was initially contacted by British Telecom, who had identified a number of devices attached to junction boxes, which they suspected were being used to intercept phone conversations."
As far as I am concerned it is by then, too late. The info has been leaked.
Add pictures here
✖
Foxtrot wrote:

Read what I wrote, perhaps?
"...visually inspect whatever bits of your telephone line might be accessible to you."
If they are lawfully tapping your phone, you will never detect it. If they are unlawfully tapping it - then the first place to do is to visually inspect any of your phone line wiring that is accessible, but not in the outside patch box. Any addition to the latter is more likely to be spotted. There is quite possibly a junction box in the building, down in the basement, perhaps. Or in a shared hallway. I'd look there..
--
Sue

Add pictures here
✖
If someone can pull off a phone tap, then they are probably reading what you write here. If I thought I was being tapped, I would have a phony conversation with a partner about something of interest to the people I thought tapped my line. Then I would look for a reaction to it. For instance, if I thought it was the police, I might arrange a phony dope transaction, complete with packages being exchanged.
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 21:35:30 -0800, "Long Ranger" <lorpkins@earthlink .net> wrote:>If someone can pull off a phone tap, then they are probably reading what you

You are putting a lot of trust in the cops not to actually "find" some real dope when they arrest you.
If they are really looking at you hard enough to get a legal tap they have other things that constitute "probable cause" for the warrant. If it is an illegal tap, they are by definition rogue cops. Who knows what they will do.
Add pictures here
✖

I agree. I can't babysit the whole scenario for this guy though. I would take pains to have an airtight situation. Perhaps some cameras, and / or extra witnesses? A lot of details, but worth it if I truly thought I was being tapped like that. I once had a notion that my ex had somehow bugged my phone. (She's a member of our local PD.) I never did prove it to my satisfaction either way, and I may have been wrong anyway. By the time I formulated a plan, the suspicious incidents had stopped. I still don't trust talking on my phone for certain things.
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri 22 Feb 2008 05:35:30, Long Ranger wrote:

What you write sounds as if it would normally work but sadly in this case it is not going to be if use.
I have already seen how the other side leaks absolutely nothing.
They observe and they learn and, when the time comes up, they use what they know. But they never say what they know. No bluffs, feigns, intimidations or any of that.
It can be quite scary to observe them in action when it is then clear just how much they knew all along but by then they have made their move.
Add pictures here
✖

RIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT.
Add pictures here
✖
Long Ranger wrote:

It depends on who is tapping your line and why.
If its the cops, they may (or may not) take the bait. If its industrial espionage (someone stealing customers, for example), you will have a much more difficult time finding out. It the latter case, their subsequent behavior based on information obtained isn't immediately available to you.
--
Paul Hovnanian snipped-for-privacy@hovnanian.com
✖

No, it can't.

Visually inspect lines. Be suspicious of "repairmen" doing things to line. The usual.

There is not much they can do. And probably even less they will do.
The bottom line of all communication services is that basically they are public forums like taking a two page spread in the New York (London) times. People get really lax about thinking their conversations are "private". They think that there are laws that "protect" them. All this is totally false.
Unless you are using "unbreakable encryption" [and this gear is NOT presently available even though easy to build, and even if it were were available it would soon be made illegal by the government] you should ALWAYS consider telephones of ANY type as well as and ESPECIALLY all email and other internet communications as totally public. Put a sign by your phone that says "This line leads to the Times" to remind yourself.
If you have something private to say to someone, go take a nice walk in the woods. And Oh yeah, go naked! Welcome to Big Brother.
Add pictures here
✖
Benj wrote:
No, I didn't. Benj just isn't very good at snipping posts to keep the necessary attribution in place.. I wrote none of the following:

Add pictures here
✖
Palindrome wrote:

The attributes aren't there and he shouldn't have left you in, but by the quote marks it's clear you didn't say anything he quoted. Though not many people will nowadays appeciate that :-(

Add pictures here
✖

Let me give you some advice... but first you need also to know what my qualifications are to provide that advice: I worked in the telecommunications industry for 34 years, and retired 6 years ago. I have had the (mis)fortune of setting up legal and illegal wiretaps. I have also had the experience of having my work phone tapped illegally. All of that of course was in the US, hence I will not attempt to give you advice about specifics or the legal status, because I simply don't know how any of it would apply to you.
Here's what I have known since perhaps a month after I began working in the industry: Do *NOT* *EVER* say anything on a telephone that you cannot tolerate being printed on the front page of the local newspaper the next day.
Take that serious. It applies to your personal life. It applies to your business. It applies if you are a criminal, or if you are a judge.
If you cannot tolerate something being in the newspaper, find a different way to communicate it to the people you need to exchange that information with. DO NOT USE A TELEPHONE.
--
Floyd L. Davidson <http://www.apaflo.com/floyd_davidson
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) snipped-for-privacy@apaflo.com
✖

I do not disbelieve you.
In part, it's a question of probabilities. For most people the probability (as far as they know it) of getting tapped is close to zero. They might find this discussion sounds bizarre and paranoid.
In my case, the likelihood of this happening has moved from almost zero to maybe, let me guess, 30 percent. That is way too high for my comfort.
But how does anyone function effectively these days without using a phone?
Add pictures here
✖

Properly done taps are virtually impossible to detect.
Add pictures here
✖