Suspected phone tap

PeterD is dead on right. That is *absolutely* true.
--
Floyd L. Davidson <http://www.apaflo.com/floyd_davidson
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) snipped-for-privacy@apaflo.com

If the police/spooks are doing it, they'll do it in software at the exchange so there'll be nothing to see.
http://spectrum.ieee.org/jul07/5280 documents one rather high-level recent case.
Theo
On Feb 19, 12:37 pm, Theo Markettos <theom

Note that thanks (in the Yoo Ess) to Bill Clinton's "crime bill", telephone companies were mandated to supply a plug to government upon which up to 1/3 of ALL CALLS MADE IN THE ENTIRE COUNTRY can be monitored simultaneously! Dubya has been wallowing in the data thanks to the PATRIOT ACT. The renewal of same is a big issue right now in Congress because telecoms are having a cow over the possibility of being sued for making these mandatory taps for feds. No doubt soon Congress will approve totally warrant-less wiretaps at random for government "fishing expeditions" with total immunity for telecoms and everyone will be happy as clams.
It's your Brave New World. Enjoy it.
[This public statement may be reprinted on the front page of any major newspaper if so desired]
| wrote: | |>I have never been a conspiracy theorist but I suspect that a particular |>group of people may try to tap my landline. |> |>I am in the UK and access to my phone wires is quite easy because I live |>in a block of flats. There are various oblong concrete covers for the |>BT and VirginMedia lines to the flats. |> |>Currently I use VirginMedia for phone service. |> |>I wonder if a tap which juts picks up the signal modulation on a line |>but does not interrupt it can be detected at all. |> |>Can I perform any checks? |>Can I ask VM to do any checks? |> |>As I am dealing with some odd folks, I would like to have the line |>checked regularly but would VirginMedia be prepared to do this? | | | Properly done taps are virtually impossible to detect.
Improperly done taps could be detected by means of a loss of signal or a reflection signal coming back. A well done tap would capture a miniscule level of signal via high impedance loading, and there is no way to see that by any means. What little reflection it might have would pale in comparison to the typical reflections along the wire at various patch panels and such. So you wouldn't know it was there.
snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net wrote:

Why would anyone do an analog wiretap?
--
Floyd L. Davidson <http://www.apaflo.com/floyd_davidson
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) snipped-for-privacy@apaflo.com
Why worry about wire taps?
Illegal or not in most cases these days they are done in the exchange and remotely.
It was alleged that there was a place in Chester that did the 'tapping' for the whole country - just tell the exchange to send you the audio, easy as that.
--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

I thought it was part of Fylingdales - or maybe it's GCHQ in Cheltenham
--
Stuart Winsor

From is valid but subject to change without notice if it gets spammed.

Do you mean??????????????????
http://www.lamont.me.uk/capenhurst/original.html

--
Bill

| snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net wrote:
|>| Properly done taps are virtually impossible to detect. |> |>Improperly done taps could be detected by means of a loss of signal or a |>reflection signal coming back. A well done tap would capture a miniscule |>level of signal via high impedance loading, and there is no way to see |>that by any means. What little reflection it might have would pale in |>comparison to the typical reflections along the wire at various patch |>panels and such. So you wouldn't know it was there. | | Why would anyone do an analog wiretap?
They would if the line is analog. But even if digital, a poor tap can still be detected by using a TDR which would be pushing an analog signal on the wire and watching what comes back.
snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net wrote:

All telephone lines terminate in digital switching systems.
TDR cannot detect a digital tap.
--
Floyd L. Davidson <http://www.apaflo.com/floyd_davidson
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) snipped-for-privacy@apaflo.com
Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

It's cheap, easy, fast, and convenient for those who want to tap a line without going through the official legal channels, red tape and associated paperwork that would usually stop you anyway.
--
Linux Registered User # 302622
<http://counter.li.org

It's dumb. Too easy to get caught.
--
Floyd L. Davidson <http://www.apaflo.com/floyd_davidson
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) snipped-for-privacy@apaflo.com
On 19 Feb 2008 19:01:40 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net wrote:

considering that virtually all phone lines have stubs along their route, echos and reflections are always expected and are also unpredictable in nature.

Properly done taps are impossible to detect.
--
Bill

I depends on how it is done. If I wanted to tap a phone undetectably, I would just use a hook on magnetic core like is used for hook-on ammeters. The secondary winding would run into a low impedance (current) amplifier.
Bill

That is PRIMITIVE technology. Even OLD technology only needs a sensitive magnetic coil to be simply placed NEAR any of the wires bearing the calls. Could be literally anywhere. We are talking tube era technology. Today a tiny microchip could be stuck to the wire at any point and would be easily accessed remotely by satellite or radio. You haven't a prayer to find this. Just assume every thing said on the phone goes right to all the wrong people automatically.
On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 01:04:55 -0800, Benj wrote:

He's probably been implanted anyway so everything he says will get straight back to the perps no matter what ;-)
Foxtrot wrote:

The VM cabinet around the corner from my home has been unlocked for over a year (with the door simply wedged shut), despite having been reported. It would be simple enough to gain access to any line going through it, or even to jumper it to another subscriber's cable (they usually have a spare pair). I ceased my service with them a while ago!
In theory such a tap is often detectable, but the VM copper circuits usually only travel between the customer premises and the street cabinets - it's fibre from there to the exchange, so an electrical exchange test isn't possible.
If the suspected surveillance is "official" (and that can cover a great range of organisations in the UK), then of course they'd have no need for such low-tech methods.
Jim wrote: (snip)

I have had three occasions in past where my phone line was bridged to the premises of another subscriber. Once in an apartment where due to a remodeling error, the neighboring apartment had a phone jack accessible to my circuits. He used the line freely making toll calls. Next I had a house in the back woods of Tallahassee where the circuits were poor. A couple of times the phone repairmen bridged my circuit with a neighbors looking for a "good pair". This last time a neighbor moved into a vacant residence near mine, plugged in her phone and had instant service, on MY line. The phone repairman volunteered that the documentation was very poor.
The cabinets and pedestals in this neighborhood are unlocked and often left open to the elements.
--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"
On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 15:47:02 +0000, Foxtrot wrote:

VM are now doing fibre optic deals - quite cheap, cheaper than coax - atm. You get broadband and phone for less than 20/mnth. Let's see your "friends" tap into that :-)