Suspected phone tap

writes

Is it fibre to the home though? I thought it was just fibre to the street cabinet and then coax to the home?

--
Clint Sharp

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 20:48:52 +0000, Clint Sharp wrote:

Well I had a word with VM about this over the phone (twisted pair - *cough*) and they told me it was fibre optic into the house. I was thinking of having it installed myself but for different reasons but like you say it may be twisted cable on the last leg, these ntl call centre lackies don't know their arse from their elbow. You'd have to pursue it further for a definitive answer.

If I felt the need of a secure phone system, I would set up a secure private VoIP network.
At my end: 1) Set up an Asterisk server on my LAN; 2) Configure an IP phone to register with it; 3) Configure a secure VPN gateway to accept incoming connections.
At the other end(s): 1) Configure a VPN client box to establish a secure tunnel to my LAN's VPN gateway; 2) Configure an IP phone to register with my asterisk box over the VPN.
If you choose a good enough VPN implimentation, then I think it would be pretty secure.
If you want to be extra-paranoid, then....
If I was trying to hide from Government Agencies, I'd probably find an Open Source VPN soloution which I was confident had no back doors. I'd not trust a VPN box from ( for example ) a Big American Networking Corporation not to have been leaned on to provide back-door access to their VPNs by the American Security Services. After all, I'm talking about the kind of corporations that are complicit with other unpleasant regimes in the world to police their populations, in order to gain global market share. If they're prepared to roll over for foreign governments, then I have no doubt they would be even more complicit with their domestic security services.
But perhaps I'm being paranoid, and need to adjust my tinfoil hat :-)
--
Ron

On Wed 20 Feb 2008 20:39:10, Ron Lowe

Sorry to be so dumb but this all seems quite complicated to someone like me who has never used VOIP.
Presumably such a setup still allows mew to keep my existing phone number.
Is there perhaps an easier way to do this without having to work with the technology at the sort of level you are writing for?
Foxtrot wrote:

Even if what you suspect is happening, there would be nothing physically attatched to your line so nothing would be found. As a telephone engineer I carry some test gear which as a side effect of it's purpose can pickup modulation over pairs of wires but there has got to be easier ways to do what you think is happening as picking up by induction is very difficult to do clearly.
If you were with BT & could prove there was a real risk of such things happening then they would investigate (chargable of course) but seeing as you are with Virigin all I will is good luck to you...& keep taking the tablets...