Terminating 4160V AC Cable

Hi All!

Wondering if stress cones are required/good practice on terminations of 4160 V cables??

I seem to recall that they are standard on 12KV cables.

Best to All

Fred

Reply to
Fred

I would use "stress cones" on everything above 1000 volts. I have seen "installations" of 5 kv with out using them. That was why I was there getting paid,,, to fix it.

Elasticmold, Raychem, and 3M are the kits that I am familiar with. As long as you match the kit to the application and the environment you good to go. I have used hot and cold kits. Make sure you have the proper torch for the hot kits. If you do not then look into the cold kits, they are more money but you do not need a torch.

A good cable stripper is handy, last one I bought was a ~$200.00. You can do it with a razor knife, it takes longer. Do not forget to test the terminations/cable when your done. Hi-pot to acceptance test levels (cable manufacture has these, the heads are usually rated far above the cable.) if the installation is new or use the maintenance level if installed and been in use.

Reply to
AlanBown

Absolutely correct. I have not used unshielded cable in ages. Thanks for jumping in.

snipped

Reply to
SQLit