What channels are "Hi" and which are "Low"?

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me what channels are considered "Hi" band, and which are "Low" band in the US with Futaba? I am looking for a used Futaba compatable transmitter, and I don't really mind having to change out the crystals in my receivers, but I don't really want to go to the trouble or expense of changing out the receivers. I am currently on channel 51.

Thanks,

Jay Bickford

AKA Treker in Minnesota

Reply to
Jay Bickford

Ch 51 is "high band"

Reply to
w4jle

According to what is in the Tower Catalog.....Futaba is the only one mentioning anything about High (36-60) and Low (11-35) when buying additional receivers... It seems to me the Futaba is trying to be sure that the purchaser gets a Rx that is just tuned a little better than just any old Rx & leave it to the Crystal to tune the system...

FWIW

Reply to
Checkursix

The older channels, 36-60, are considered "high band". When the FCC allotted more channels, 11-34, they were known as "low band". Both are in the 72 mHz frequency range.

Theoretically, a radio can be changed from any frequency to any other. Practically, it's wise to not go farther than 3-4 channels away from the original frequency unless you have the radio retuned. Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

Dr1,

It's a thread drift but I would like to offer a slight correction for you. Channels 11 through 60 were allocated all at the same time when the old

72.08/72.16/72.240 etc were outlawed around 1980. However, the odd channels were not used much because we were in transition to true narrow band. By only using the even channels there was a 40 KHz channel separation instead of the 80 KHz that the old channels provided. The 1991-1993 regs dictated 10 KHz band width so the frequencies inbetween our channels could be used for paging, Etc.

Dan Thompson (AMA 32873, EAA 60974, WB4GUK, GROL) remove POST in address for email

Reply to
Dan Thompson

You're right, Dan. I forgot the order in which channels were allocated. My dear wife says that's what happens when you hit 50. :)

Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

And your dear wife is correct, I've celebrated the 50th Birthday 12 times so far!

A friend told me the other day that life is like a roll of toilet paper. The more you use the faster it goes. Enjoy the next 12 years as they only take about 2 years to complete.