Timer on an emersion heater

I'd like to put a timer on my emersion heater, but they are very
expensive. At the moment, my emersion simply has a switch with a
heavy duty grey lead going in and the emersion lead coming out.
Is it possible to put a standard UK 13amp plug on the emersion lead,
and take out the switch and replace it with a standard plug socket?
That way I can use a standard £5 timer and not have to spend £30 on a
dedicated emersion timer.
Thanks for your help.
Chris
Reply to
Chris Cheese
What is an Emersion heater?
(An immersion heater.) Digital timers made for the job are available for £20 in B+Q. Not worth the hastle!!. PF
Reply to
Paul
Thanks for all your replies. I'm gonna buy a proper timer! Cheers, Chris
Reply to
Chris Cheese