too much humm...why?

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 15:51:19 -0500, Bud Gave us:

You are not correct. The steel of the chassis has a much higher resistance than said shield, and IT is where the grounds get tied. Hence, there is no need for a overtly large conductor. We aren't clamping huge circulating currents here, just a few millivolts.

Reply to
TokaMundo

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 15:51:19 -0500, Bud Gave us:

Wrong. The only resistance that plays into it is the point of the tie, and the path to the supply. The entire chassis does not play in.

It is a far greater resistance, PERIOD.

Hell, not only would #20 ga work, but a #26 ga. would work as it can carry an amp, and has STILL far lower resistance than ANY steel chassis, no matter how thick the damned thing is.

Reply to
TokaMundo

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 14:09:23 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@barrow.com (Floyd L. Davidson) Gave us:

You aren't following the thread then. The HUM has a potential.

If not clamped it can get into the line inputs to the amp(s).

At 150mV standard line input envelope, 20mV is far more than enough to flood the signal out with hum.

Reply to
TokaMundo

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 14:13:05 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@barrow.com (Floyd L. Davidson) Gave us:

I am NOT talking about "balanced" inputs, I am talking about a balanced ZERO reference point.

Reply to
TokaMundo

Chassis potentials are not balanced. They might be *equalized*, but nobody "balances" them.

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

Wrong.

Bud is *precisely* correct.

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

Impedance is what counts. The trick is to *avoid* high impedances on the ground connections.

I have no problem with #16, or even #18 wire in some situations. But #14 is always better.

"Clamping" current has nothing to do with it. What counts is the impedance, not the resistance. (And we might note that "a few millivolts" does not describe *any* "currents" huge or otherwise. Current is measured in amperes, not volts.)

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

I *am* following the thread. *YOU* aren't making sense.

What do you mean "clamped"????

Please use standard terminology instead of making up word usage as you go along.

"flood the signal out"???

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

Theree is no such thing as "a balance ZERO reference point".

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

That isn't true. The entire chassis is significant.

Regardless, you've still missed the point. *Impedance* is what counts.

#26 also has a far higher impedance (because it has more inductance) than larger wire.

Stick with #14 and you'll be fine.

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 14:13:05 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@barrow.com (Floyd L. Davidson) Gave us:

Do you know what a standard 150mV line level input is?

Reply to
TokaMundo

From: snipped-for-privacy@barrow.com (Floyd=A0L.=A0Davidson) TokaMundo wrote: On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 15:51:19 -0500, Bud Gave us: Steel chassis vs 20 ga wire - the copper wire has a higher conductivity but the chassis has a much larger cross-section and lower resistance. =A0=A0=A0=A0Wrong. The only resistance that plays into it is the point of the tie, and the path to the supply. The entire chassis does not play in. That isn't true. The entire chassis is significant. Regardless, you've still missed the point. *Impedance* is what counts. =A0=A0=A0=A0It is a far greater resistance, PERIOD. =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0Hell, not only would #20 ga work, but a #26 ga. would work as it can carry an amp, and has STILL far lower resistance than ANY steel chassis, no matter how thick the damned thing is. #26 also has a far higher impedance (because it has more inductance) than larger wire. Stick with #14 and you'll be fine.

Reply to
Roy Q.T.
[entire article deleted]

Roy, you'll have to learn how to format articles so that they can be read. Nobody can tell who wrote what when you don't use some form of marker for quoted text.

I'm not sure how to do that with WEBTV, but I've seen properly quoted articles from other WEBTV users, so I'm sure you can figure it out.

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

Floyd, TokaMundo is trolling a number of electronics newsgroups and showing his ignorance. He claims he doesn't know what "PLONK" means, so he's and obvious waste of time. A lot of people have already tossed him head first into the troll bucket, and you should too.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 19:22:47 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@barrow.com (Floyd L. Davidson) Gave us:

Zero volts.. tied to zero volts...equals balanced reference point.

REAL SIMPLE.

Reply to
TokaMundo

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 19:39:13 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@barrow.com (Floyd L. Davidson) Gave us:

Stop playing stupid, like you have never heard the term before.

It isn't made up.

I used to respect you, but now I am putting you on the same list with the idiots. The only difference is that I have yet to call you any names. They deserved it, you still may.

Reply to
TokaMundo

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 10:52:54 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Roy Q.T.) Gave us:

Said the retarded f*ck that entered the group after "several months of not posting" by attacking me directly.

Who's a troll? YOU. Your retarded f*ck ass has yet to make a contribution here, or anywhere else in the world.

Reply to
TokaMundo

Thanks.

Bud--

Reply to
Bud

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 17:27:33 GMT, "Michael A. Terrell" Gave us:

You're a goddamned retard, asshole. I never said a goddamned thing about the word plonk to anyone here or otherwise. Get a clue, you retarded, make shit up as you go BASTARD!

Lying fucktards like you should lose you access privileges.

Reply to
TokaMundo

That has *nothing* to do with "balance".

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson