Use of stepped sine wave UPS with SONY Bracia Flat Panel LCD TV

| snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net wrote:
wrote: |> |> | I have just bought a new Sony Bravia 46S2010 LCD TV. The operations
|> | manual warns against pulling the AC plug without first turning off the |> | TV. - No problem, I would like to run the TV and my Pioneer 300 disc |> | PD-F1007 Jukebox CD changer* from a UPS |> |> IMHO, this is sufficient mis-feature to urge others to not buy such a |> product. Sony needs to re-hire some decent design engineers. |> | | | This has been the case for decades with high powered projection devices. | Remember the old slide projectors that would run the fan for a few | minutes after shutting it off?
So what about their design makes it a problem for cooling to go from active to passive when the heating goes from active to none? It would seem to me that a slower cooling process would be less stressful. But apparently some aspect of it is a problem where temperature presumably will rise somewhere that active cooling would have prevented (e.g. cool parts adjacent to hot parts). Someone didn't consider thermal in the mechanical design.
On 26 Dec 2006 11:45:26 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net wrote:

Or the punters demanded it small and cheap. Lots of equipment requires a shut-down cycle. You're used to it with your computer, your ink-jet printer. If they reckon the projector bulb will last longer with controlled cooling, why should we take an attitude?
wrote: | On 26 Dec 2006 11:45:26 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net wrote: | |>So what about their design makes it a problem for cooling to go from active |>to passive when the heating goes from active to none? It would seem to me |>that a slower cooling process would be less stressful. But apparently some |>aspect of it is a problem where temperature presumably will rise somewhere |>that active cooling would have prevented (e.g. cool parts adjacent to hot |>parts). Someone didn't consider thermal in the mechanical design. | | Or the punters demanded it small and cheap. Lots of equipment | requires a shut-down cycle. You're used to it with your computer, | your ink-jet printer. If they reckon the projector bulb will last | longer with controlled cooling, why should we take an attitude?
My computer has survived dozens of sudden power outages with no problem whatsoever. The printer seems to still be working fine, too (but I'm not stressing it with a dozen reams a day).
On 27 Dec 2006 02:40:50 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net wrote:

Yeah, and mostly it will. But one day you'll lose data, or corrupt a disk's file structure.
Are you sure you're not arguing your point a LITTLE harder than it deserves? :-)
wrote: | On 27 Dec 2006 02:40:50 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net wrote: | |>| Or the punters demanded it small and cheap. Lots of equipment |>| requires a shut-down cycle. You're used to it with your computer, |>| your ink-jet printer. If they reckon the projector bulb will last |>| longer with controlled cooling, why should we take an attitude? |> |>My computer has survived dozens of sudden power outages with no problem |>whatsoever. The printer seems to still be working fine, too (but I'm not |>stressing it with a dozen reams a day). | | Yeah, and mostly it will. But one day you'll lose data, or corrupt a | disk's file structure.
Reiserfs is designed specifically to avoid that. Most partitions are in that format. The ext2 partitions are mounted read/only.
| Are you sure you're not arguing your point a LITTLE harder than it | deserves? :-)
I'm sure. Things _can_ be hardened again power outages.
message

Not with NTFS.
Arny Krueger wrote:

And the Titanic wouldn't sink.
prove it.
message

The Titanic might not have sunk if built to the standards of NTFS. ;-)
Arny Krueger wrote:

It would have sank before they could hit it with the bottle. I have seen a lot of NTFS crashes, both with mechanical, and solid state disk drives. The drive is writing a file as the power supply drops below the critical level, and it is trashed. I've lost track of the hundreds of times I've reinstalled OS with NTFS after a crash. Sometimes it was the OS that was damaged, other times it was the system's software, but we were required to reformat the drive, run full diagnostics, then reinstall everything.
prove it.
Michael A. Terrell wrote:

The mind boggles. How do you crash the hardware so often?
Bob
--

"Things should be described as simply as possible, but no simpler."

A. Einstein
Bob Cain wrote:

Not me, but it looks like the drive was writing a file as the power failed. A lot of corrupted files on the drives, and none of the systems were connected to the outside world.
--
My sig file can beat up your sig file!

Bob Cain wrote:

Well, Bob, your mind isn't the only one that boggles. My mind boggles too. Somehow, I can't seem to comprehend how someone like you, a self-proclaimed scientist and engineer, needs to go to sci.physics for help in solving a junior college level partial differential equation. Worst yet, you were lead by the hand by Zigoteau over several posts, and finally told that you clearly don't know what you are doing.

That idiotic quote, which you have fabricated and attribute to Einstein, has about as much depth as piss on a flat rock, as does virtually everything that you have to say.

Good question. NTFS has specific safeguards against this sort of thimg happening.
I pull the plug (literally) on booted XP systems all the time. They reboot fine.
Arny Krueger wrote:

Perhaps the write cache is enabled? If it loses power before flushing the cache, data can be corrupted. NTFS is certainly much more robust than the earlier MS file systems though, I haven't had much trouble with it myself.

Which one?
IME NTFS is generally robust regardless of write caching.

The nature of life is such that one usually pulls the plug on an idle system.

IME there is no serious comparison between NTFS and FAT32. NTFS is *that* much more robust.

You do this on purpose? Or are you VERY careless?
message wrote:

When I do it on purpose, I do it on purpose. ;-)

No, I think that an NTFS computer should be able to tolerate having its power dumped like this, and verify it empirically fairly often.

Oh yes it can. And, occasionally, does.