Use of stepped sine wave UPS with SONY Bracia Flat Panel LCD TV

Yeah, and mostly it will. But one day you'll lose data, or corrupt a disk's file structure.

Are you sure you're not arguing your point a LITTLE harder than it deserves? :-)

Reply to
Laurence Payne

In alt.engineering.electrical Laurence Payne wrote: | On 27 Dec 2006 02:40:50 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net wrote: | |>| Or the punters demanded it small and cheap. Lots of equipment |>| requires a shut-down cycle. You're used to it with your computer, |>| your ink-jet printer. If they reckon the projector bulb will last |>| longer with controlled cooling, why should we take an attitude? |>

|>My computer has survived dozens of sudden power outages with no problem |>whatsoever. The printer seems to still be working fine, too (but I'm not |>stressing it with a dozen reams a day). | | Yeah, and mostly it will. But one day you'll lose data, or corrupt a | disk's file structure.

Reiserfs is designed specifically to avoid that. Most partitions are in that format. The ext2 partitions are mounted read/only.

| Are you sure you're not arguing your point a LITTLE harder than it | deserves? :-)

I'm sure. Things _can_ be hardened again power outages.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

Not with NTFS.

Reply to
Arny Krueger

I'm likely an older fart than you. But being a whippersnapper doesn't qualify you (or anyone else) to breeze through here pissing on all the conventions.

Its the holidays. How about being polite to others.

Reply to
Richard Crowley

How do you think they get that bright, large-area back-light without what you call "active heating"? Even fluorescent sources (and their ballasts, etc.) get pretty warm.

Reply to
Richard Crowley

And the Titanic wouldn't sink.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The Titanic might not have sunk if built to the standards of NTFS. ;-)

Reply to
Arny Krueger

Oh yes it can. And, occasionally, does.

Reply to
Laurence Payne

It would have sank before they could hit it with the bottle. I have seen a lot of NTFS crashes, both with mechanical, and solid state disk drives. The drive is writing a file as the power supply drops below the critical level, and it is trashed. I've lost track of the hundreds of times I've reinstalled OS with NTFS after a crash. Sometimes it was the OS that was damaged, other times it was the system's software, but we were required to reformat the drive, run full diagnostics, then reinstall everything.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The mind boggles. How do you crash the hardware so often?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Cain

Not me, but it looks like the drive was writing a file as the power failed. A lot of corrupted files on the drives, and none of the systems were connected to the outside world.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Well, Bob, your mind isn't the only one that boggles. My mind boggles too. Somehow, I can't seem to comprehend how someone like you, a self-proclaimed scientist and engineer, needs to go to sci.physics for help in solving a junior college level partial differential equation. Worst yet, you were lead by the hand by Zigoteau over several posts, and finally told that you clearly don't know what you are doing.

That idiotic quote, which you have fabricated and attribute to Einstein, has about as much depth as piss on a flat rock, as does virtually everything that you have to say.

Reply to
exp(j*pi/2)

Good question. NTFS has specific safeguards against this sort of thimg happening.

I pull the plug (literally) on booted XP systems all the time. They reboot fine.

Reply to
Arny Krueger

Perhaps the write cache is enabled? If it loses power before flushing the cache, data can be corrupted. NTFS is certainly much more robust than the earlier MS file systems though, I haven't had much trouble with it myself.

Reply to
James Sweet

You do this on purpose? Or are you VERY careless?

Reply to
Laurence Payne

Which one?

IME NTFS is generally robust regardless of write caching.

The nature of life is such that one usually pulls the plug on an idle system.

IME there is no serious comparison between NTFS and FAT32. NTFS is *that* much more robust.

Reply to
Arny Krueger

When I do it on purpose, I do it on purpose. ;-)

No, I think that an NTFS computer should be able to tolerate having its power dumped like this, and verify it empirically fairly often.

Reply to
Arny Krueger
Ï "**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**" Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá news: snipped-for-privacy@nettally.com... Thanks; I assume the APC1500 is stepped sinewave? Also good idea about the cable box. Mine is a DVR with a harddrive.

as the power utility trys and fails to >auotomatically reclose its breakers. This results in an >OFF/ON/OFF/ON/OFF cycle. sometimes blackouts begin with a brownout.Here in Crete, half of the island was left without power, when on one of the 3 main power stations, outside of Iraklion, was a short circuit in one of the 150 kV insulators, but the other half of the island remained "live".The infamous blackout of Athens, just a few months before the olympic games, happened when several units were lost of tripping, the worst one 300 MW just outside of Athens.When they tried to bring it back, it tripped again because of some steam problem, and just a couple of seconds before the 400 kV breakers opened, separating the south grid from the north grid, the voltage at the busbars had fallen down to 107 kV (nominal:150 kV).IMHO you should do nothing, just when the power is out be sure that you have turned everything off (maybe with a switched power strip) and when you are sure power is really back, turn everything back on.

-- Tzortzakakis Dimitrios major in electrical engineering mechanized infantry reservist dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr

Meat Plow wrote:

On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 15:02:56 -0500, **THE-RFI-EMI-GUY** Has Frothed:

Hi; I have just bought a new Sony Bravia 46S2010 LCD TV. The operations manual warns against pulling the AC plug without first turning off the TV. - No problem, I would like to run the TV and my Pioneer 300 disc PD-F1007 Jukebox CD changer* from a UPS

The UPS I am considering would be something like an APC Back-UPS 650, which are plentiful, easy to repair but have a stepped sinewave output.

Can anyone tell me if there would be any reliability issues in running this setup? I know that there might be an AC hum issue with the sound system due to switching transients. I don't intend to back up my audio amplifier. I only want the TV and CD changer to ride out the numerous brownouts we get in Florida.

(*The Pioneer must be on standby to retain memory and turns back on from standby on power interruptions).

Been running a Panasonic 51" rear projection on an APC 1500 for a few years. Also run my DirecTV DVR on it. Did this after getting fed up with power interruptions that have since been fixed. I don't notice any problems with my equipment.

-- Joe Leikhim K4SAT "The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Treason doth never prosper: what's the reason? For if it prosper, none dare call it treason."

"Follow The Money" ;-P

Reply to
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios