What is the purspose of pre-tinned wire?

StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt wrote:

<http://ww2.cox.com/aboutus/policies.cox
--
Acceptable Use Policy

Prohibited Activities. You may not use the Service in a manner that

Yes, fuckhead. Now show me a state or federal statute, you stupid fuck. Then go back and read what I said.
Cox will send you information about using your filters.
If I were to commit a crime, they would forward any pertinent information on to whichever authority necessary.
Until a crime is committed, idiots like you can fuck off and die.
You got that, you stupid fuck?
I find you retarded bastards offensive and objectionable.
That makes my case as strong, if not stronger than you your retarded case.
No go find something real to involve yourselves in, you petty little E-1 grade bastards.
msg wrote:

That isn't an RFC-1918 address. It belongs to Cox Communications, Inc.

True, but DimBulb is infamous for sock-puppetry.
Bob Larter wrote:

Indeed, and I don't expect a large operator like Cox to do it, but some ISPs NAT their clients with RFC-1918 addresses, all of which translate to a single public IP, ergo, many NNTP users may all originate from a single IP.
Michael
msg wrote:

True, but it's quite rare at ISPs. NATing is usually done in businesses, rather than at ISPs.
Bob Larter wrote:

<snip>
From time to time (for many years now) I deal with issues involving H.323 and RTP connectivity (payload contains IP information) and I am always surprised by the number of ISPs I encounter that NAT their clients. These are mostly small operators and often rural. I too run a neighborhood WISP that NATs the clients, many of whom use the same O/S and NNTP user agents, and I would be quite distressed if newsgroup readers assumed that IP addresses and message headers uniquely identify the poster who just happened to be a neighbor and not myself.
Michael

The idiot that made the remark that "many NNTP users may all originate from a single IP" is about as dumb as it gets.
For one thing, they are required by law to uniquely ID ALL of their subscribers.
So to that idiotic asswipe... show us an example of your "several users, same IP" claim, jerk.
msg wrote:

On the bright side, DimBulb clearly isn't on a NATed IP, so one can confidently filter him out with it.

Bwuahahahahahah! Filter boy doesn't have a clue.
Just so you know, idiot, this is all on the same cable modem.
I *could* also get on the wireless and simply grab up any number of currently unsecured networks in the local area, but that *would* be illegal, as opposed to the fact that I have done nothing illegal on my computer.
Om the bright side, I can prod you upside da haed ANY TIME I want to, idiot.
Dr. Heywood R. Floyd wrote:

Gee, I never would've guessed, genius.

You should learn to speak English.

Can you? - I don't think so.

Siad the total retard with the totally retarded and immature sig for all to see. That places your mental age at no more than 14, you retarded BlownBulb dumbfuck.
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt wrote:

*yawn*
On 19 Apr 12:08, John Fields wrote:

That showed him up. Hee hee! You owned him.

Most of my TFE coated wire is not silvered butl is tinned. All TFE wirewrap is silvered.
greg

I think the reason for silver-plated teflon wiring is mostly milspec compliance (and the follow-ons that include the mispecs.) The real question is, why is it in the milspec? Certainly WWII and Korea influenced milspecs a lot to focus on fungus-proofing, and Teflon had some advantages back then when the other insulators were not so fungus resistant. At the same time, other insulating materials can turn copper or even tin-plated copper inside the insulation black with a kinda sooty residue (common on Romex from the 50's-70's for example). It seems to me that silver-plated teflon was a kind of knee jerk reaction to these two issues, a belt-and-suspenders-cost-is-no-object approach to a pretty mundane but really fundamental issue.
It's a real joy to work on ex-military equipment with Teflon cable assemblies. Compare it to other consumer or less-speced industrial stuff from the same era with PVC-type insulation, where you flex the cable a little bit and the insulation cracks and falls off leaving bare wires.
Tim N3QE

Yes, Silver is one of the few metals that has a lower resistance than copper, but oxidises easily so silver should be covered, PTFE is one of the best coverings.
Steve Terry

Some of the newer wires have PTFE-Polyimide-PTFE insulation. Best of both worlds.

Silver does not oxidize so much as it tarnishes, by picking up sulfur from the air.

Same thing. Chemically, it's oxidation. Silver cleaners/polishes are reducing agents (eg, Tarn-X).
On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 17:30:45 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Tarnish IS oxide, you dope. Silver oxidizes, it just doesn't grow a crust like Copper does, regardless of whatever other elements it grabs while doing it.

You are thinking of Copper.